Oliver + S

Serger thread for leggings? (cotton/ spandex)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    paula @paula

I have the pattern printed and my fabric cut and would like to use my serger for the seams. What thread do you recommend? Would regular Maxilock work or should I use Maxilock stretch? Wooly Nylon? Do I thread both my needles and loopers with the same thread or should there be a combination?

You’d think with the two Craftsy classes I have taken, Sewing with Knits, and Beginner Serging, I’d know that answer…

Thanks!

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

Paula:

I have made many knit based projects and I have used just plain maxilock for the needles and loopers with great success. I wouldn’t go out and get a special woolly nylon or such if you don’t have easy access. With that being said, I did just recently purchase a spool of Gutermann’s version of woolly nylon for when I was making my daughter a dance leotard. I wanted to ensure maximum stretch with that item. I would maybe recommend the nylon on the hem of a dress if you have a little one who likes to tug and pull on the ends of their dresses. I used only the nylon in the upper looper and regular thread for the rest and as for the hems, I used the nlyon in the bobbin and regular thread for the twin needle on my machine. I have had a few issues with my locked/backstitched portions of my twin needle hems (when you stop and start) coming undone and got a helpful hint of pulling the threads through to the inside/wrong side tie all threads together, ie, the three in one row and then the three in the second row and then finish off the knots with fray check. I hope this helps and best of luck to you! 🙂

-Rebecca

LINK
    paula @paula

Yes, thank you!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I use a thread called Serafil for wovens and knits. It is very strong but still quite soft. Don’t mix it up with Aurofil which is coarse and more for soft furnishing.

It is translucent so I use neutral and dark grey which blend well. I now have a tub of all my other coloured over locker threads I now never use.

Its $25 a spool in AUS but it lasts a long time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.