Oliver + S

serger thread

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    aegean17 @aegean17

hi, I’m about to buy a serger and I’d love to know more about what thread to buy before I grab this and that.

So, am I supposed to buy 4 spools of the same color? Are there colors that are good basics? Good brands? Can brands be mixed?

How do I use something like woolly thread? Do I use one or more at a time? And is it true that it can’t be ironed?

Any other advice?

Many thanks!

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

On my serger I just use cotton thread and use the white color, of corse it stands out on black fabric but it is on the inside. Yes you use all four spools at the same time unless you are making a lettuce edge or a tiny trim on lighter fanbric, then you use two.

I do love my serger! It is great for sewing knits and I have gotten tons of use out of it, I am sure you will love it too.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I use a product called Serafil,it is translucent very strong thread. I use a neutral for everything most times but I do have dark for navy or black.

It saves me so much time as I used to change my thread for every garment.

I don’t think it is a good idea to mix threads as I have heard of some ”cutting” each other.

How exciting,have fun!

LINK
    aegean17 @aegean17

I tried looking-up Serafil and don’t see it sold here in the states. translucent sounds handy!

I just returned from Joann’s thread sale with some Gutermann Toldi-lock and bulky nylon…. in orange! I need something here when the serger arrives 🙂

I think I’ll go online and buy some maxi lock and woolly nylon. it seems to be the commonly chatted about.

I’m trying to learn from my regular thread surplus. I have waaay too many little spools of this and that color!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I get mine here http://www.allmakesewing.com.au/ they may be able to help with a stockist.

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

You will love your serger! I use mine constantly. I have found that you don’t really need a high quality serger thread because it’s main function is to cover the edge of the fabric and prevent fraying, strength is not really an object. I mainly use maxi-lock because that is what is readily available. I have a set of white thread and a set of black, but quite often I’m too lazy to change colors 🙂 When I do change colors I don’t rethread the entire machine, which can be time consuming and a real pain, I clip the thread beside the spools and knot the new thread onto the old ,then sew slowly until all the knots are thru and it is feeding the new color. If you can make any sense out of that explanation!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I would recommend learning to thread your machine so that it is easy for you to do. Sometimes you bust a needle (for some reason) and you’ll have to rethread the whole lot (because otherwise your machine won’t make a beautiful stitch). Some people find threading sergers quite daunting but if you embrace it as though you were learning to change a tyre on a car, you should set youself up for a nice sewing experience with it.

If your dealer offers free tutorial lessons, I’d recommend them also as sergers are a little different to the regular sewing machine. This will allow you to get to know how to change it to a particular setting without having to constantly refer to the manual (which is still handy to have close by).

In terms of thread, I use reels from Spotlight and they do ok and I use different colours (because it helps me to get to know how to thread and rethread the machine). It depends on your machine – sometimes they have relationship “issues” with some threads. Your dealer could recommend some but I like the sound of that serafil – could be worth giving that a go.

Have lots of fun you won’t know how you’ve done without it once you get going – they are really a valuable addition to any sewing experience.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.