Oliver + S

Seersucker shorts?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • LINK
    purlknitpurl @purlknitpurl

Hi there, wondering if anyone has any experience sewing with seesucker? I was thinking of purchasing some preppy seersucker fabric with little whales on it for my little boy to use with the sketchbook pattern? Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated!

LINK
    LucyM @LucyM

Seersucker seems like the perfect fabric for preppy Sketchbook shorts. Depending on its fiber content, you may find it slightly stiffer than a quality calico or quilting cotton. That makes it appropriate for shorts. I say go for it!

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Some seersucker can be a little more stiff (in my own experience) but I think it will great. I love seersucker shorts on kids.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I’ve made the puppet show shorts out of yellow and white seersucker and they worked beautifully. I found it quite soft but it could be quite old as I think someone gave it to me when they were clearing their stash.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Seersucker would be delightful to wear in the hot weather.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Interesting — I too have only found quite soft seersucker, maybe because I’ve bought the cheap stuff. It’s been so lovely though, really perfect for the weather as Nicole notes.

LINK
    LisaMM @LisaMM

Hi, I love seersucker, it’s really lovely to sew with and usually after washing there is no need to iron in most cases. I have made a bucket hat, several dresses and skirts and people always comment on how lovely and preppy the outfits are. There are some stiffer seersucker out there, usually the printed kind with patterns on it. I usually buy the plain cotton seersucker and its nice and soft. Good luck!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I think seersucker is perfect!

Now tell me why some of you describe seersucker as stiff? I think seersucker should be soft and airy. Isnt that the point? But recently I ordered this yellow and pink floral from farmhouse fabrics because it was on clearance and I could not believe how crisp it is, even after washing it a few times and finally trying fabric softener. I was really shocked. Ive never heard of crisp, stiff seereucker before. I had hoped to use it for summer nightgowns, but it is much too stiff. I’m sure I’ll think of something to do with it, but I’m disappointed. What’s up with that?

LINK
    Jane @jesims

I bought some pretty purple seersucker online last summer with the idea that it would make a nice summery dress. It was very stiff. I was so disappointed when it arrived. I still don’t know what I may end up using it for as I can’t imagine it will be comfortable at all to wear.

Jane

LINK
    mrskanuckles @mrskanuckles

I have had good success with http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=4a5cce48-3644-4ad4-bb2f-3a57afa049ec Kaufman Seersucker.

It is light and airy..

I have made sailboat shorts

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrskanuckles/8505105231/in/photostream

Sandbox pants

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrskanuckles/7710408372/in/photostream

and a hopscotch skirt

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrskanuckles/7051800145/in/photostream

It is a nice, soft quality.. perfect for summer.. but it doesnt have cute whales on it. 🙁

LINK
    purlknitpurl @purlknitpurl

OOOhhh! Those are all so pretty!!

LINK
    ElisaG @ElisaG

Good seersucker is great to work with. Just like any other quilting cotton. I particularly like Robert kaufman’s seersucker 🙂

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

Thank you for the tip about Kaufman seersucker. I didn’t know that it was nice to work with. I love the Kaufman baby cord. I looked at the Kaufman handkerchief linen at the same site today. I am thinking about using it for the Pinwheel Tunic and also maybe for the dress. Has anyone ever tried the Kaufman handkerchief linen?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I have tried the Antwerp linen, it’s lovely.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

What did you make with it, Sarvi? What does it “feel like”, please. Thanks for recs abt K’s seersucker and cord – so good to know.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.