Oliver + S

seams and hemming

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Ah, a many-moons-later update — I did wind up binding the seams after all, and it looked great and works well. I’m having the same problem, again — how to finish seams in a thick wool fabric. It’s a bit more complicated because this time, a) the wool is quite a bit thicker, and b) I’m hoping to line it with the treat-2-as-1 method. Am thinking of Hong Kong seams? I’d have quite a lot of layers, still, though: the wool, the cotton lining, and three layers of the seam binding fabric, though I’d be stitching-in-the ditch rather than having to sew through all three layers. Anybody done Hong Kong seams? Do they work well or poorly on curved seams, too?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I don’t think I have done Hong Kong seams…. if you are determined to have a pristine finish you could baste your fabrics ‘2 as 1’ bind the raw edge and then sew your seams?

I love a neat inside as much as the next girl , but remember , there is not much point if it makes construction near impossible or the garment uncomfortable to wear.

I sure it will be a wearable work of art , whatever finish you decide on Sarvi.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Just up feeding the baby ( 3:30 am), If you did flat seams , using the ”2 as 1” method and only bound the wool edge with a fine but strong lawn? Perhaps pink the lining edge shorter? Clear as mud?

I am intrigued to see what you are sewing….. A School Photo dress ?

LINK
    Anonymous @

Nicole, you just described a Hong Kong finish! 🙂 I had to go look it up because I couldn’t remember what it was.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’m making a kind of Frankenstein project — it’s a top that buttons down the back, that I’m making into a coat with that red wool I bought for a Paddington (School Days) coat ages ago, but didn’t like once it arrived. I figured I could use it to practice sewing with wool. Glad I did, because it’s definitely very different. This is some of the worst topstitching I’ve done, ever. This has been the week of finishing up half-abandoned practice items. I’m itching to make another Music Box, I know how to make that one properly!

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

Sarvi, I found this about underlining, and I thought it might solve your seam finishing issues with the thick fabric. It looks like the sheer fabric wraps around the outside fabric, binding the edges, and then it’s lined and bound in the same step.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/review/readreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=1044

I had no idea it could be done!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.