Oliver + S

seam finishes for the picnic blouse?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I got my pattern finally in a little pile of Mothers Day things! I’ve read through it and just love the construction – except for the raglan sleeves. How are you all finishing those? I plan to use French seams for the sides and the yoke and neckline are nicely finished in the pattern, but those little raglan seams? I don’t think French would work too well. Bound? Flat-felled?

I think this blouse will be so adorable in a lightweight seersucker or voile for the summer and a cozy flannel for the winter. I think I’ll like it with short or long sleeves and maybe even as a dress. But I have to admit, though I’ve seen the style around lately, I’m not to terribly keen on those wrapping shorts.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I was just coming here to post this exact question — since I’m making it in a very light fabric and already have loads of bias tape made up, also in a very light fabric, I’m going to try binding the seams. Hm. Or maybe fold them in half inward and stitch that down? I will be the guinea pig and let you know what I found.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

While examining the seams inside my shirt and my husband’s, I discovered that my $12 shirt from Target has overlocked (is that the right word?) seams pressed to one side and his nice shirt from J. Crew has flat felled seams. Interesting!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have just finished a heavy felted wool version and I overlocked and pressed the seams flat from the yoke down,to reduce bulk.

I think binding the seams would be lovely as long as your binding was very light.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

On all 5 that I’ve made, I’ve overlocked the seams together and pressed to one side. I’m pretty sure that’s what is recommended in the pattern instructions.

Don’t forget you’ll be rolling up those hems to finish them. I think binding would add bulk, Sarvi. And I think the same about French seams.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Yup, you ladies are right — the binding was too much bulk in too small (18m size) a space, even with the very fine fabrics. I wound up overlocking (sewing machine ‘overlock’ stitch) together, as you suggested. I think the pattern says to finish separately, which I will do next time, on the slightly heavier fabric. This lawn was too airy for me to sew comfortably in a single layer. Practice, practice, practice, I suppose.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Does a machine overlock really hold up over time? And look nice? I don’t love it when most of the seams are nicely finished but some aren’t. I recently tried the sewing machine overlock stitch and was surprised at how nice it does look, but still, I just don’t love it when most seams are nicely finished, but some are not.

What about that seam finishing tape? or a very thin binding fabric? Flat felled seams have no bulk and I sometimes use that when French seams would be too much.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

My machine has a ‘double variable overlock’ stitch that I use to finish my seams. I can shorten the stitch length and I think it looks quite a bit like a serged seam, but generally I leave it at its regular setting and carry on. I think it looks better than a zig zag stitch, personally, and I’ve not been disappointed yet with how well it holds up over many washings.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.