Oliver + S

Scallops and long dress

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Hi ladies,
    Two questions- I am making my second bubble dress and want my scallops to stand out more. I noticed in a photo of Nicole’s of a dress made from a fabric with big circles (bubbles?)on, that her scallops look great. What’s the secret? Stiff material? Interfacing in scallops?
    Second question, somewhere on line whilst I was searching I saw a gorgeous powder blue babies bubble dress that was ankle length- did any of you make this? If so, did you just lengthen the pattern or did you make other tweaks? My daughter has just had her fourth child and it is a little girl- yeay! They have returned to UK to live and are all currently staying with me, so I have a gorgeous four day old baby in the house as well as three other grandchildren here! It only seems a short while ago that I was venturing into Oliver+s patterns for the first time for my middle granddaughter who is now 3- where does time go? At least all those dresses I made can now be handed down to new baby! Thanks in anticipation of your help.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Linda, thank you and congratulations!

I made that dress in a quilting cotton so it was a little stiffer anyway but I did tweak the top of my scallops. If you look at my tute, I pressed the top flat and this seem to help the scallop stay out.http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2011/01/bubble-dress-part-five.html

As for the longer Bubble dress, the smaller size has a good amount of length in it already. I would think it was long enough on a newborn. But maybe my babies are just short….

Enjoy that new baby sweetness.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Thanks, nico!e- I’ll have a look immediately as I am just about to sew scalloped side seams and stopped to check on here in case anyone had replied.

Linda

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Looks like Nicole’s tip works really well. I am in process in of sewing bodice to skirt so can’t tell completely yet, but it’s looking good so far! Thanks,Nicole.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

My absolute pleasure @Linda.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Linda, I used the bubble dress in the smallest size for my baby and when she was a newborn it came way past her knees – more towards her ankles actually- she was only 50cm at birth, if this gives you an indication of length.

It is the perfect little dress for a newborn.

LINK
    Linda @Knitting1

Thanks justsewit, I was thinking of making it for my latest granddaughter and I have the smallest size pattern, so thanks for the encouragement. I would measure her if I could only get her to uncurl from that foetus-like knees up position for long enough to use the measuring tape!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.