Oliver + S

Right side of wool suiting?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    sosew @sosew

I have some thickish wool suiting and I’m stumped as to the right side.

One side you can see the diagonal grain lines a bit more and the other is more uniform (almost a little fuzzy? But not in a bad way). I also know how it was folded on the bolt).

Google is no help.

Thanks!!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Can you post a photo? I am not sure if there would be issues with pilling, but is there one side you like the look of better than the other? I know you can use the reverse side of many woven fabrics.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Sometimes, looking at the selvidge helps when you are trying to decide which side is the ‘right’ one. Can you see little holes very near this edge? If you can, the holes have an “in”, and an “out”. On the side where the holes look like they have been pushed in, that is the “right side”. If u are still in doubt about my wonky explanation, check out “tenter hooks” on Google. Sorry, I don’t think I’m helping. Trying to decide on right side/wrong side drives me crazy, too. Sometimes you just have to make a decision about which side you like best, and stick to it.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I would plump for the fuzzy being the reverse.

Perhaps wash a sample and see how it comes up?

LINK
    sosew @sosew

Thanks! I tried to take a picture but it’s hard to see the difference. And no selvage holes. I went for the nonfuzzy side, love how it sewed up!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.