Oliver + S

ridiculously embarrassing first-timer question

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    sewkellysews @sewkellysews

this will be my first attempt EVER at making clothing. and i have a really DUMB question! i would love to just figure it out on my own, but i’m terrified of messing up, and having to go out and buy more fabric.

cutting…

i’m using fabric with a pattern (since this is my first time, i probably should’ve chosen solid fabrics). when i fold the fabric to cut the pieces, do i fold it right or wrong sides together?

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

I say no question is a dumb question. 🙂

Fold right sides together.

Good luck! What are you making? I mad my first ever clothes almost 2 years ago with an O+S pattern and I have been hooked ever since!

LINK

thank you so much! i had folded it wrong sides together and was so scared to cut into it!

i’m making the birthday party dress. actually two of them for my daughters. 🙂

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

I will admit that I have folded wrong sides together and cut the whole pattern out and have had no issues. Sometimes I get so caught up in my pretty fabric that I forget I am not supposed to see it when cutting. I cut a jump rope dress right wrong sides together and something else (I forget which) and had no issues with it. And these are some of the last couple of things that I made that I made this mistake on. 🙂

I am not really sure why this is how it is done. Perhaps someone wiser than me will jump in an advise…

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I cut with wrong sides together if I want to make sure I have the print aligned correctly (if that is an issue) otherwise I prefer to cut with right sides together so any markings I make that may not come out in the wash are on the wrong side of the fabric.

I also want the markings needed for sewing on the wrong side since that is what I will be looking at while sewing, hence I fold right sides together.

Good luck! And remember, there are no dumb questions, only people answering who make you feel dumb, when they shouldn’t. Ask away and we’ll help if we can.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Here here Lotta.

I do both,all depends on what I am making.

LINK

thanks for the support!! i’m sure i’ll have many more questions as i go. 🙂

LINK
    TriMama @TriMama

Welcome! There are no dumb questions. I don’t think it really matters. I always cut wrong sides together and had no idea I was doing it “wrong” until I read this thread. I like to be able to see the right side of the fabric so I can pattern match if the fabric calls for it.

On each pattern piece you’ll notice the grainline has an arrow on it. Just make sure that all the arrows are pointing in the same direction before you start cutting. That way if your pattern is directional your finished garment won’t end up with some pieces having the pattern running in the opposite direction.

Have fun!

LINK
    Anonymous @

Actually, you’ll be happy that you chose a printed fabric instead of solid. Makes it easier to determine which side is which! I also fold it either way depending on what I’m doing on and how/where I’m going to transfer markings. Have fun and be sure to post your birthday party dresses on Flickr for us to see! 🙂

LINK

well, i can’t believe i made it through this pattern without having to ask anymore embarrassing questions! this forum is such a great resource! anytime i had questions about something, i checked here and found my answer.

here’s the link to my flickr pictures….http://www.flickr.com/photos/7253051@N07/sets/72157626535782762/

i’m going to make the tea party bloomers to go with them, and once i’ve done that i’ll blog about it all. 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If that is a first ‘go’ you are amazing!

My first efforts needed burying in the garden at midnight!

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Your dresses are gorgeous, Kelly! Congrats!

(btw – I cut wrong sides together!!! I know that’s wrong – I’ll blame it on being left-handed – or mild dyslexia!!)

LINK
    janimal @janimal

Those dresses are lovely! Well done!

I usually cut right sides together for the same reason listed above, so I can make my markings on the wrong side so they won’t show if they don’t wash out.

But honestly, I don’t think it matters. As long as you are consistent. The grainline is what is most important.

Happy sewing! Keep showing us your stuff!

LINK

thanks you guys!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.