Oliver + S

Ribbing for waistband?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    nzsewist @Ann-Maree

I’m making N a whole stack of these shorts for kindy from some french terry sweatshirting that I had in my stash. I’ve got ribbing that matches the terry and I’m wondering if it might work to make the waistband from that. Would I still need to put some elastic in the waistband?

I can just do a trial run and see what happens but I thought I would ask the question first just in case anyone has already done that using this pattern.

The terry has almost no stretch to it if that makes any difference.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I haven’t done it but I think it will work really well. Whether you put elastic in will depend on how good the recovery of your ribbing is, and how much faith you have in it not stretching out over time.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I made my daughter some yoga pants with a ribbing waist and I did have to go back and add elastic
    I unpicked a wee bit of the seam, threaded it through and then hand sewed it up again.

LINK
    NanaMar @NanaMar

Have you considered waistband elastic – the 2 inch wide, soft, coloured elastic from Dritz? I use it on circle skirts and have used it on a a Music Class skirt as well.

LINK
    nzsewist @Ann-Maree

Thank you for the advice ladies.

I am keen to use up my stash so will use the ribbing for the waistband but put some elastic in too. I want these to survive through kindy for both N and her little sister and neither of them are the kind of girls who just sit at the craft table or play inside for the entire session! 🙂

I remembered as well that she has some rtw harem style pants with a ribbing waistband and we had to relegate those to pajama pants because she got annoyed at them slipping down all the time.

School holidays are over now and kindy starts again on Monday so I had better get on to sewing them.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.