Oliver + S

Ribbing for neckbands, cuffs etc

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I’ve bought what was called ribbing from the large fabric chain and it seems to be particularly flimsy stuff.

I had problems with my first field Trip raglan T-Shirt when I used it as it just seemed too stretchy with little recovery. Subsequent efforts with cotton/lycra have been much more successful.

Now I’m trying to make a Field Trip sweater using a fleece backed cotton and I want a heavier ribbing, similar to that found on jacket cuffs.

Any ideas where I can get such ribbing in the whole spectrum of colours?! Or should I try and sandwich some elastic between the folded layers of my flimsy ribbing? has anyone done that?

I have exactly the right colour of flimsy ribbing in my stash, so using that would be lovely. More layers doesn’t seem to add much except bulk at the seams!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I thought spotlight had it, but I have either been given what I have or bought from the op shop. What colour are you using/looking for?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Once upon a time (also known as the 70’s), sewing with knits was all the rage, and everyone was doing Stretch ‘n Sew. (Ugh, the name pains me. Nothing should have an ‘n in it in my verbal universe.) Anyway, back then you could buy coordinating knits and rib trim. I remember that ribbing as questionable in quality, but I was 6 at the time and probably didn’t know much about it, and I haven’t seen the coordinates since then. Maybe it was just a fad? Maybe it really was questionable quality and people caught on to the scam? Every now and then I see a few rib trims in fabric stores in generic colors, but I generally steer clear of it and stick to the body fabric, since it’s so hard to match colors and the quality still feels sort of awful to me. Crummy recover can ruin a good rib trim, especially a neckline! But here’s another idea for you if you simply can’t find anything else that will work: what about that wide elastic I keep seeing in shops? It seems to comes in quite a few colors, it’s quite soft, and it would certainly have a good recovery. Until the day you can order a good dyed-to-match rib trim the way it’s done in the apparel industry, that might be your best bet?

LINK
    buttonup @buttonup

I have found at organic cotton plus in their best sellers a rib knit, natural,100% organic cotton. It is 2×2 tubular 30″ wide. It will take dye very nicely.

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

sounds like you may be looking for the kind of ribbing used for outdoor apparel. If so, try http://www.questoutfitters.com/waistband.htm#Waistband/Cuffs there are a few web stores with these types of yard goods,

LINK

I think it is more common in Australia as school uniforms are almost universal and many public schools have a basic tracksuit as their main winter uniform. And there seems to be a limited number of colours they choose from navy, royal blue, bottle green, maroon, red, black.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Shelley, if you get stuck again, send me a Flickr mail. I have have a huge assortment that I purchased when BullRush Clothing shut their city factory.

I find the really good ribbing is pricey. I purchased some for the children’s rugby’s and that was $24/m but very firm and has washed well. It goes a long way as one only uses a tiny amount.

DK’s Fabric in Adelaide has a good range. Maybe they have stores interstate?

LINK

Thanks everyone (and thanks especially Nicole, very kind offer). I tried a few fabric stores today, and luckily another customer at one store overheard my enquiry and suggested this place: http://www.qrf.com.au/ called Quick response Fabrics.

Heidi it was Spotlight that I got the original stuff from. The colour I’m primarily after is a bottle green so it should be easy to find, if it’s the right type of ribbing

Thanks for the outdoor shop listing. they have some great colours (just not the one’s I want) and what a website. Now I’m wondering if I shouldn’t buy some tent poles and make something to play in….

LINK

Just checked my stash sorry no bottle green to send you 🙁

I haven’t really used the ribbing it was just in a big bag my friend gave me when she moved.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

The good ribbing I have found was tubular. I stock up on my favorite colors. Usually I don’t find a match, but a darker or lighter color in the same hue adds interest.

LINK
    violetvata @violetvata

For USA- I like the sew classics ribbing at Joann fabrics, it is a cotton lycra blend and has nice deep ribs like the ones you see on RTW sweatshirts, it has always behaved nicely for me, I do preshrink it twice. Lots of basic colors and it does coordinate with their interlock knits.

For online- OTTOBRE has a lovely etsy shop that always has ribbing in stripes and solids in two weights, a 1 by 1 rib which is lighter (jersey tshirt necklines) and a 2 by 2 rib which is more like (deep ribs) for sweatshirts or holding up boys shorts (waist- like boden) , they are also a blend and are AMAZING- best ribbing ever and you can order by partial meter- as in this color 20 cm, this color 40cm, etc, up to one meter, to get a nice variety!). It is listed as “rainbow ribbings” or as stripes

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Ottobredesign

LINK
    It's me Sophie @Itsmesophie

I second the Ottobre Design ribbing, it’s just gorgeous. As is all their fabric.

LINK

Thanks everyone. I’m going to try a bit of the 2×2 rib from Ottobre for this project but have also stocke dup on some of their 1×1 for T-shirts etc. I’m also going to try some from an Aus company called nitwit (www.knitwit.com.au).

I’ll try to remember to post back about quality. I have to say I give the Spotlight stuff two thumbs down.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Your sweatshirt looks great, LMcS! I also have had good luck with ribbing from Joann’s, I thought Spotlight was the same stuff, but maybe not!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.