Oliver + S

reusing wool for jacket?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    sosew @sosew

I have a wool toggle coat that was my husbands that I would like to use to make 2 of the school days jackets.

I still have to do a bit of measuring to see if I can really get 2 out of it but I’m hopeful.

If I do I’m going to have to use up most of the pieces, which means ripping the seams where there were pockets, etc. I’ve started this and its going well, but the resulting fabrics has dents and folds from where it was stitched. Not to mention that it is a bit dusty/full of crumbs in some areas

Any tips for cleaning it up a bit? One thought would be to hand wash it, not sure how the boiled wool would like that?

Thanks!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I’d figure if it can’t survive a washing machine wash it wouldn’t survive my kids wearing it. Try a gentle wash, the wool I’ve bought for these coats (more like Melton) has survived the washing machine just fine.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Its really important to pre-treat the fabric as you are going to continue caring for it.

If you will dry clean the coats,dry clean the fabric.

I frequently recycle clothing and wash all the fabric either by hand or on a gentle machine wash with approved delicate wash.

I even washed my daughter’s cashmere coat and it came up beautifully.

The thing to remember is that wool does not need frequent laundering. Hang the coats after wear and most soils will brush off once dry. A damp flannel (face washer) dipped in diluted lemon juice will rub off many marks.

When unpicking the coat keep in mind that some seams can be utilised in the final garment. I made a School Days coat for my daughter and had to keep a original seam down the centre back,it looks fine!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/4815133432/in/set-72157625184981969

Good Luck

~Nicole~

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Good tips, Nicole! My mother just told me she’s got a bunch of my dad’s suit jackets to get rid of. The pants have worn out, but the jackets don’t see as much wear and are in good shape. But he can’t wear half a suit! So she’s giving them to me to use. I will remember to keep some seams when I take them apart. My dad is a really really tall guy, so there will be a lot of fabric. What fun things can I do with a suit jacket?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

If they’re long enough meleliza, a secret agent trench would be amazing, you may also be able to keep the bottom seam and button placket, wouldn’t that save time! I was also imagining a mix and match secret agent trench with a number of different fabrics from the jacket, that’s if they work tonally.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I think a “pieced” School Days Coat would look awesome. I’m imagining kinda random large pieces of different jacketing materials that don’t necessarily follow the garment pieces. Almost a quilted look, but the straight lines and structure of the coat would hopefully stop it looking like a patched dressing gown. Or, maybe not. It works well in my head…..

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I dunno, these are probably pretty nice quality wool suits. I’m not sure the quilted look is what I’d like to do with them. A trench would be nice. School days coat would be better, but it only goes up to size 8. My oldest is 7 but the only word to describe him is “strapping.” Still, he may only need length. I think he only measured about 21″ around last time I checked.

Maybe I could use one to make him a suit for his Communion next year. But I’m also thinking a fall cape for baby girl or even me.

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

I love wool suiting! I can often get good remnant pieces and think it is a lovely material for kids’ clothes, especially for the long winters where I live (but tropical weight wool is great for all climates). I’m just finishing a pair of Field Trip pants (w/o cargo pockets) in a charcoal wool with flannel lining. I’ve used suiting for a Bubble dress, many pairs of pants, lightweight jackets, etc. If the suiting feels too severe for a small child, add a little embroidery or decorative topstitching– one of my favorite pairs of pants was in a black pinstripe with rainbow topstitching. I think the Music Class skirt, Firefly jacket, and any number of other patterns would be great in wool suiting. The Tea Party sundress is a good pattern for repurposing fabric because the pieces are narrow, and it works for winter with tights and a long shirt. To prep fabric, I dry it on hot with a wet towel and then wash the finished garments inside-out, snap them into shape when wet and hang to dry.

LINK
    sosew @sosew

thank you! I will wash the pieces. And thanks for the tip on leaving the seams, I will have to do that to get it to work. Still not sure if I can really get two out of it, might have to get a second fabric somewhere

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

mkhs, I’d never thought of suiting for kids clothes. As you say, one is rather put off at the thought of the dark colours, and patterns too big for children. But it really is a thought; and I’m going to check out retail possibilities. Thanks for encouragement.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.