Oliver + S

Request for a pinafore in the next release of patterns?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    meghanclinard @meghanclinard

I was just having the discussion with my mom and sister about how we always had a pinafore in our wardrobe as little girls. I would love to see an Oliver + S pattern come out with their nice modern spin on a classic. Just hoping it might spark some interest! Thanks for the amazing patterns and fun inspiration.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I would have described the Music Box dress as a pinafore. Have you seen that Meghan? Or do you have another view in mind?

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Meghan: Here’s a “wish list” thread started by Liesl:

https://oliverands.com/forums/topic.php?id=84

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Yes, the Music Box is also what I would consider a pinafore, and for me a classic example of flickr selling a pattern. Once I saw the flickr community go to town, it became my second-favorite pattern, the one I make most after only the Tea Party, and I have some kind of sentimental loyalty to that pattern.

Is this like jumper/sweater? Does pinafore mean different things in different places?

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Most of what I see that’s labeled “pinafore” crosses in the back. It’s one piece, sometimes reversible, and is generally the length of a shirt – to be worn with bloomers. This is what my grandmother describes to me too as a pinafore.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

You’re thinking of something more like an apron, right? I think I know what you mean. If I can think of a way to do this that isn’t too costumey I’d love to do one. Oliver + S isn’t really a period-clothing type of brand (as you know), but I agree that it would be very cute done in a contemporary manner.

It probably won’t include bloomers, however. Or a sunbonnet. Unless I can do it in a way that feels appropriate for today.

I’m open to your suggestions, so if you see something you like send me a link! It’s helpful to get ideas.

LINK
    icicle @icicle

I’ve always been partial to this modern japanese version — it’s open in the back so a true ‘pinny’ in my mind.

3.bp.blogspot.com/_XB_bWs-JsuE/SNaQpKOmJtI/AAAAAAAABjo/s5…

eta: book ISBN 457911194x / ISBN 9784579111947

LINK
    icicle @icicle

Oh, and this wrap-around version, again japanese:

4.bp.blogspot.com/_XB_bWs-JsuE/SEwdrIZpswI/AAAAAAAABDU/KT…

eta: book ISBN#978-4-529-04550-6 / ISBN 4529045501

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I really like that second one.

LINK
    meghanclinard @meghanclinard

Liesl, I know I’m pretty tardy in my response but I just stumbled across an image of a pinafore that I like. You’re right. The image of a ‘pinafore’ that I have (what my mom made for us) is something more like an apron, but I think it could be so much fun for a more contemporary version. I do like the open back of the classic version though maybe doesn’t appeal to the masses.

I found a vintage pattern for sale on eBay that is close to what my mom made: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Crochet-PATTERN-Windmill-Pinafore-Dress-Sz-3-4-/260593722229

And the one I just came across for sale at Boden is here: http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Girls-Dresses/33189-BPK/Girls-Bright-Pink-Pansy-Garden-Hotchpotch-Pinafore.html.

I’m not totally won over by the Boden version but its more of a contempory twist on the classic.

Thanks for humoring me! Like everyone else, I can’t wait for the upcoming release of new patterns!

Very sincerely, Meghan

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I’ve seen big four patterns that include an overdress like the one you quote first. I agree it would be difficult to do in a non costumey way. What would the Modern use be? Presumely, aprons helped when laundry was difficult to do. But now?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Goodness,you must have a very clean daughter.

I should make some pinafores for Matilda because she goes through two(or more)dresses a day. A little pinny would be quicker to launder than a dress.

I really,really should make her some.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.