Oliver + S

Red Riding Hood Cape lengthen

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    amazinggrace @amazinggrace

I am wondering if anyone has lengthened the cape to knee length? I am thinking of making the cape to go with my daughters Easter dress, and it will still be cold here at Easter time.

I have never lengthened a pattern like this one. Any helpful hints, tutorials, or books to recommend? Thank you.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If it was me,I would simply add length to the hem and have a fuller cape but I have not made this. It may cause issues with fabric width.

Are there joining notches on the panels? I find those good places to cut and add length.

~Nicole`~

PS I hope someone else is more helpful.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I’ve made this cape and it would be very easy to lengthen it to a longer length. Because the pattern has panels, all you’d have to do is add the required extra length onto the bottoms of the panel pieces. I would encourage the use of wider fabric to do this though or fabric with no nap so that you can fit all the pieces on. I made mine in some red stretch velour so had to be careful to have all the pattern pieces running the same way.

Hope this helps

Tamara.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I have added on inches to my little girl cape too just the way Tamara said and it worked out very lovely, alothough I only added 3″ to hers.

LINK
    amazinggrace @amazinggrace

Thank you all for the help! So I would just lengthen the panels, extending the line at the same angle? That seems easy enough. I will try that tonight, then maybe make a muslin first.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

That is just what I would do.

Good luck.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Amazing grace, exactly that! It is rather straight forward this way as you are only adding what extra you want. You could do the slice and spread method but it will mean having to trace the pattern all over again should you want to make it as per the original.

Good luck! Can’t wait to see.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.