Oliver + S

puppet show shorts over nappy/diaper

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • LINK
    rastis @rastis

So I’ve just made my first pair of puppet show shorts and think they ridiculously cute- but I’ve realised they run pretty small. My little girl is only a couple of months old and apparently only just squeezes into the 3-6month size (in a disposable nappy/diaper).

I want her to be able to wear them in her cloth nappies/diapers and hoping that upping the size a bit I’ll be able to make it work.

Has anyone else made this pattern for a cloth nappy/diapered bottom? Did you just increase the size or did you play with some of the other measurements to make it work?

thanks πŸ™‚

LINK
    rastis @rastis

I also forgot to ask, does the puppet show top pattern run as small as the pants? I was about to cut her out the top in the same size, but am thinking I should probably size up on that as well?

LINK
    Martine @Martine

I agree on the sizing. My daughter is 16 months old and is wearing a disposable diapers/nappies. I made her size two puppet show shorts, but had problems getting them over her hips, so I decided to make another pair in size three with size two length. This works very well. The tunic I made in size two but shorter and fits her just fine!

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

My daughter is 2.5 and I’ve always sized up in bottoms to accommodate her cloth diapers. Shamefully, haven’t made the PS tunic yet, but I imagine you can judge nicely by the finished measurements on the pattern. I’ve always found them to be helpful. Also, for the PS shorts, I let my elastic be a little looser in those so they’ll go up more easily over the diaper. Does that make sense?

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

When I first made the shorts, I cut out a size 2 based on my daughter’s measurements. The resulting shorts did not fit well over the cloth diaper bum. I ended up sewing a size 4 and that worked for us. My daughter was wearing prefolds and has a very solid build so that’s why I had to go up 2 sizes. The shorts still fit fine over a year later and we’re out of diapers. So yes, I’d go up a size in order to have enough ease over the cloth diaper.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

My nine month old is currently wearing 18 month sizes, both in rtw and o&s. To my surprise both the puppet show shorts and the tea party bloomers in 18 months fit over her cloth diaper. I thought I would have to size her bottoms up, but apparently not. How they fit over her scrumptous chubby thighs, however, is another matter.

LINK
    rastis @rastis

Thanks for the replies! I think I will size up the shorts 2 sizes to be sure they’ll go over her clothies.

Should I size up the top as well? Perhaps one size up? I already traced out the 3-6 month pattern but don’t want to make a top that’s too small Or is the top more true to size?

thanks!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I found the top to be very true and Mel makes an excellent suggestion regarding the waist elastic.

Make sure you do measure your baby and don’t assume the size. There is a difference between RTW and patterns.

My 12 year old girls wear 6 to 8 to 10 in O+S depending on what I am making.

Good luck,its a lovely pattern.

LINK
    rastis @rastis

will definitely keep the elastic loose… i generally only put elastic in pants in after trying them on! (she’s got a little gecko belly!)

here’s a pic of the shorts here πŸ™‚

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49182185@N02/6036403055/in/photostream

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I find O&S pretty true to rtw size. Though I have noticed that English clothes that my MIL sends run much bigger than US. Maybe AUS sizes are different from US rtw too.

Is this your first baby? Because the puppet show tunic, while adorable, isn’t really what I consider to be a good baby dress. For one thing, it’s complicated and most babies grow out of the 3 and 6 month sizes in a matter of weeks. You’d be lucky if she wears it once. Also, it buttons down the back, which I find to be a downright nuisance. Plus, babies don’t have necks rally, so anything with collars is awkward for them and just in the way. Newborns spend all their time lying around on their backs and I always preferred mine in soft, snuggly comfy clothes. I saw your other baby things on flickr, and I really liked the peasant dress as well as the knit things. They are perfect for a newborn. – and darling.

LINK
    rastis @rastis

I’m not sure how Australian children sizes compare to the US? She’s just moved into 000 Australian sizes and isn’t yet 3 months old.

No, she’s not my first baby and totally understand what you’re saying about the neck thing (plus the buttons down the back thing- if i were just making dresses for her i’d probably use snaps)… but was thinking of the puppet show dress for a christening/baptism gown and was going to try it out as a tunic first…

is the collar really tight around the neck? perhaps i should be thinking about a different pattern πŸ™‚

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Oh yes yes yes! As a baptism gown it would be utterly perfect. I made it up in Liberty for Easter with a full lining in cotton voile. I also used voile for the sleeve bands and collar to give it a delicate look. I added some machine embroidery around them and was thinking about how perfect it would be for a baptism. I can see it in two layers of fine batiste maybe with lace and embroidery added. I didn’t for the Easter dress, but if I were making it as a christening gown, I wouod probably do a muslin first too. I hope you keep us posted.

LINK
    rastis @rastis

oh i just looked at your easter dress and it’s darling! i am totally obsessed with your strawberry picking outfit as well… my little one may need something similar!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

a www, thanks! I always meant to post more details about the Easter stuff, but most if us had been sick and things got a little out of control.

LINK
    meme77 @meme77

This not very related to the post but I’ve searched high and low for this pattern, are any of you ladies are willing to sell yours if you are done using it? Any size will do, I will be grateful to you forever! Let me know.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.