Oliver + S

Playdate in velvet? and other questions

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I am far away from my sewing machine at the moment, but cruelly in close proximity to large fabric stores with good sales and overflowing remnant bins … so I am planning projects for the fall. On my list is a Christmas dress for DD1, who will be 3. I have in my head the idea of a velvet Playdate. Went to the store today to figure out what my options were. I really liked the drape, sheen and light weight of the stretch velvets I saw, but then I thought about how the Playdates I’ve seen photos of tend to me made up in crisper fabrics. Would a drapey velvet be weird? I should also mention I am planning to omit the front pleat.

And finally … I definitely want a white yoke. What fabric would play well with stretch velvet?

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

No advice for the yoke, but I was able to pet a velveteen recently, I don’t see why you couldn’t go with velvet for winter. Wasn’t there a corduroy version on the flickr group somewhere? Hmm.. Now I’m going to have to go look.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I love velveteen! It’s actually really hard to find it here in NYC, oddly. Anyway, I think it would be great for this dress. You could even use a white/creme velveteen for the yoke, but I’d suggest facing it with a very lightweight fabric so it doesn’t get too bulky. You’d probably also want to use something lightweight for the pockets. And probably skip the piping or use something VERY light (Bemberg lining or china silk?) so the yoke seam doesn’t get too bulky. I’d love to see it!

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I did a cord version, and it was wonderful- fast and easy to wear, and as she grew, we simply put leggings underneath it for more warmth. http://www.flickr.com/photos/johanna_e_olson/5012677429/

I don’t think a drapey velvet would be weird at all. Make sure you grab enough fabric to account for the nap in the velvet- you might need more fabric as a result. I might not eliminate the pleat however- it gives the dress some swing, and some walking room. I’d be worried that your little girl wouldn’t have room to run without the pleat. (But if it’s really stretchy, it wouldn’t be an issue, unless you used something different for the hem facing…. What is the plan for the hem facing? Satin would be nice.)

What about a cotton sateen for the yoke- it would have a bit of a sheen to compliment the velvet- or I’ve suddenly talked myself into a satin yoke with a velvet dress- super fancy.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

The pleat is required in this dress I think if you intend to use velvet. I like Liesl’s idea of using velvet for the bodice also. I can’t think of anything the same weight that would team well with it but I do adore the whole velvet in a colour and a complimenting white to go with it. Whatever the outcome of your fabric purchase for this dress, it would look really stunning and I can’t wait to see a picture of it when you have finally gotten the chance to reunite with your sewing machine.

Lucky you for being close to wonderful sounding fabric shops.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If it is stretch velveteen and got a good stretch you shouldn’t need the pleat as long as you do not go too long!

I think a pearly stretch cotton sateen would look lovely as a bib. Or use the same fabric and make some ruffle roses from the same fabric and sew them to one side of the yoke like a corsage. You could sew multiple pearls as a centre for the flower?

~Nicole~

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

OK – another question because I am just finally somewhere where I can see a wide variety of fabrics in person. Velveteen is cotton velvet, right? I’m talking about a drapey stretch velvet that is polyester. I do prefer natural fabrics in general but as this is a special occasion dress I told myself I wouldn’t mind if she didn’t wear them for once. I’ll have to go back, though, and see whether they have velveteen. And the stretch velvet I was looking at is quite stretchy. I figured I’d make a “wearable muslin” of the dress first in a fabric with similar stretch to see whether I can get away with removing the pleat.

Nicole~ (ha, thanks for the squiggle), I love your idea of a ruffled rose corsage. I think I am definitely going to use it. Perhaps on the silk dupioni Easter bubbles, too!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I would call cotton velvet ”velveteen”. Then there is stretch poly velvet,poly mix velour and cotton velour which are all pretty stretchy.

That said,I had some stretch cotton velvet that was a little stretchy……

I love making ‘do-dads’ to decorate clothes.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Yes, velveteen is cotton velvet. Nicole nailed it: poly velvet, etc. Should be a really cute dress!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

@roundtheworldgirl how did the velvet playdate turn out? Did you make it in the end? I must wanted to find out as I am considering this pattern for some double velvet I purchased recently, but am at a loss as to what to use for the yoke as I don’t have any in white.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Yes I made it and it worked fine. I ended up using silk dupioni for the yoke. https://www.flickr.com/photos/23557464@N03/8260534376/in/dateposted-public/

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

My goodness, I had forgotten all about that beautiful dress!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.