Oliver + S

Pattern Piece Storage

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

I know we’ve had a discussion about how we all store the original patterns, but now I want to know how everyone stores their tracings?

I trace my pattern pieces onto freezer paper, then fold them up and store them in gallon ziploc type bags. There has to be a more efficient way to store them.

Nicole, or others that make multiple sizes of each pattern, I’m highly interested in your answers!

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I’m curious about this too. I used to trace on tracing paper but after reading Nicole’s blog and seeing she used some kind of interfacing to trace pattern pieces I gave that a go and I love it!

Only problem now is how to store it well. I have put my pattern pieces together with a safety pin (one for each size) but it’s so bulky. And it won’t fit in the envelopes I used before.

Eager for ideas here as well.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I use large ziplock bags and find if I fold the drafted pieces carefully and not too small they all fit nicely together!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/4960220272/ like this!

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

I have a crate that holds manilla folders. There are different sections in the crate for the different pattern companies I use. I put the traced off patterns in a manilla folder with the pattern name and the size on the tab and then stick them in the crate. That way I can easily see if I already have a specific pattern traced off in the size I need.

The crate holds quite a bit but I’m getting to the point that I’m going to need a new one. They stack though so it’s easy enough to do. If I had more room in my sewing room, I’d probably use a filing cabinent.:)

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Right now, I have all my traced pieces together by size packed neatly into the individual giant ziplocs with their appropriate patterns. My daughter is growing though and I have more than a couple sizes traced in a few patterns, so I’m going to have to come up with a new system. My current consideration is buying a ginourmous 3-ring binder and some clear sleeves. That way I can store my pattern in one sleeve and it’s corresponding tracings in individual sleeves behind it. Maybe get really crazy and separate them with tabs. Oh my, I get entirely too excited over school supplies and organization!

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

maraya- I tried the 3 ring binder and it did not work for me at all. I found that it wasn’t easy too look through and it was bulky. I even planned on using tabs to separate and everything! if you do it and make it work- please share!

I am using manila folders (that are actually white) to hold tracings for each size of each pattern that I trace. I have the folder labeled with what is in there and then I store them in a bin. If I have multiple sizes of an outfit, then I put them next to each other in my filing bin. The actual patterns are in a seperate small bin. that way I can look at just the patterns easily if I want to just choose between those. And then I can look for tracings in the other bin. I do plan to add to the patterns notes that say which I have already traced.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

You guys are so organized! Mine are in heaps:

on top of books in the bookcase

on a cabinet in the closet

under the coffee table

I don’t like to fold them, so there’s that. Think of getting one of those long flat plastic boxes that fit under beds.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

In the world of organizers, I’ve found there are “pilers” and “filers.” I tend to the piler side of things, so my patterns (tracings) in progress are in a pile on the bed, where they will get moved to the cutting table. If I’m completely done with them, and don’t plan on using it for a bit, every Monday night, I force myself to fold them and put them in three ring binders. I have them folded carefully so I can see the size, and pattern name on the outside of one of the main pieces through the clear page protector. The long flat boxes sound like a great idea, but I’m afraid the little pieces like the patch on the 2+2 will go missing, and I’ll have to trace it each time I want it.

LINK
    mela @mela

I must be a “stuffer”. I neatly fold my tracings (traced onto pattern ease) then stuff them into the original envelope. The most i currently have is 3 tracings of one pattern, and they fit well in the envelope so far. I have to admit, until I read this post it hadn’t even occured to me to store them any other way. some of the envelopes are a bit thicker than others, but they are all still reasonable. I circle the size on the back of the envelope so I know what size I have traced. I keep all my patterns in lidded cardboard boxes from Ikea. I admit I also have a craft bag that is the perfect size for about 8 patterns. I keep my “priority” patterns (ones that I plan to work on soon) in that bag so I can take them from my room for bedtime reading to the living room for TV-watching browsing. I am so studious when it comes to sewing!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.