Oliver + S

Pattern Cutting for After-School Blouse

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    minnesotamary @minnesotamary

I’m lost at the first step of “Prepare the Yoke” and quite ashamed. I’ve sewn many things, but this just isn’t working for me… In the cutting directions it says to cut the single layer pieces right side up, which I did. However, when looking at the illustrations my pieces are not matching those in the first 3 steps. After sewing my yoke, it matches step 4 when you are looking at it right side up. I guess I should just play around with it, but I just don’t want to get halfway through the shirt and have to either cut up more fabric or rip seams out. Any guidance on this?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am at the beach so I don’t have access to my pattern but will this help a little?

http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/after-school-frolics.html

I will look as soon as I get home.

~Nicole~

LINK
    minnesotamary @minnesotamary

Your tutorial and the directions make perfect sense, but I’m just confused with how I ended up with pieces that don’t match. Did you cut one on the right and wrong side for each? I’ve been playing around with this and it’s just not adding up. I’ve made other O+S patterns (like Apple Picking Dress and PJ’s) and didn’t have any problem. Don’t know why this is a problem. I just poured a glass of wine… perhaps that will help my thinking?? 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I will definitely check the pattern as soon as I get home. I know I used a white fabric for the lining so that it would show up clearly in the tute,I may have flipped that and corrected it with out knowing.

Sorry not to be more help.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

You lucky woman, Mo5, being at the beach on this shockingly hot weekend. All sympathy, minnie; I spent an unconscionable amount of time trying to add a little extra seam allowance on a peasant top for a child. Just got myself completely muddled for no really good reason. It happens! I’m sure you’ll sort it all out soon. After school is a pattern I want to buy very soon. Look forward to your photos when you finish.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have not got there yet,I am so sorry but I will!

xx Nicole

Thank you Fiona,it was bliss!

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

That’s great, N. The beach is such a ‘freeing’ place, isn’t it?

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

PS:N, I just went to your tutorial on the after-school top. So clearly demonstrated, and I love the fabric. Very sweet. So nice to see how well the style of the top suits the 2+2 skirt. That particular shade of red/pink/coral is very kind to most children’s complexions and complements so many other colours. As a non-parent, however, I’m interested to know whether that style of long sleeve is ok for active kids. I have visions of it getting into food etc as opposed to a cuffed or elasticised sleeve but certainly easier to sew.

F.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

No problem at all Fiona.

(But my children sit down to eat and use cutlery and napkins from a young age)

The sleeve is a good length if you make it to the child’s measurements.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.