Oliver + S

Pants and cloth diapers?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • LINK
    AmyF @AmyF

I have a 2T all traced and ready to cut for my 20 month old. Has anyone made this pattern for a child in cloth diapers? I’ve altered pants in the past to fit cloth, but I am a little intimidated by this pattern since the crotch seam is angled.

Maybe the pants are baggy enough to sew as is?

Any info would be appreciated!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Amy, we intentionally gave the smaller sizes of this pattern a longer rise to fit over diapers, so maybe you can compare the width of the finished pants (see the instruction sheet for the finished garment measurements) against another pair that fits? I think they should be fine, but some diapers are bulkier than others.

LINK
    AmyF @AmyF

Thanks Liesl!

I should have known you would think of everything! I just LOVE all of your patterns, and it was incredibly awesome to meet you at market in SLC. You obviously wouldn’t remember me, but the Oliver+S booth was the highlight for me!

I’m going to cut the 2T as is, I’m so excited to see how it turns out! I’ll report back in case anyone else is curious…

LINK
    wendy @wendyls

Does anyone have any feedback on how the after school pants fit over cloth diapers? I’m making some pants for my 6 month old nephew who is quite big and in bulky cloth. I was thinking to make size 12-18 months so that they might fit for a while. I know the sandbox pants will definitely work, but I was hoping to make these. I’m a bit weary of pants over cloth diapers as my own large baby could never comfortably wear them. Her cousin seems to be following the same growth pattern. Maybe I should stick to the sandbox pants? Any thoughts?

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I will be able to tell you tomorrow. Tonight I finished a pair of 18-24 months pants in a 3T length and rise, save for the hem. I will try them on my cloth-diapered (and stubbornly resisting anything related to the potty) 2.5-year-old when she gets up in the morning.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If you don’t mind a rolled cuff you can just size up?

Matilda is now in knickers and back wearing her 6-12 mnth trousers and I have put her bigger,nappy covering ones away for her to wear when she grows.

If you don’t fancy a bulky cuff,cut them off to the correct length and they could be 3/4 pants later on.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

OK. I think you definitely need to go up another size to fit over a CD. My daughter is very thin (her waist measurement actually corresponds to the 6-12 month size), but the 18-24 size fit pretty snugly around her diaper, width-wise. I am very glad that, when I lengthened to 3T, I added the length in the rise as well as in the leg. Even so, the waistband doesn’t quite cover our trimmest diaper and gaps a little. If you are set on making these pants, I would go up a size (maybe two since you said the wearer is a large baby). As for me, they don’t work for us now unless she is in a disposable diaper. I plan to put a growth hem in, as I think these pants will still fit her once she potty trains (hopefully in 6 months or less!).

LINK
    wendy @wendyls

So sorry they didn’t work! But it’s worth a try and, as you say, they’ll probably get some use after she’s out of the diapers. As for us, I think I’ll use the fabric I have in mind for the sandbox pants since I know that they’re pretty roomy, and then play around with the after school pants based on your suggestions. Thank you both!

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I have made the pants O+S patterns for my cloth diapered daughter since she was 6M (she’s 3 now), and I was always able to size up one size for a nice fit over the big bum. I would think then that the bulkiness of the diapers definitely affects the fit. I’m sorry that pair didn’t work out! Maybe you could let out the elastic a little to give more room? I did that a couple times to pants, and that’s easy enough to adjust as the child grows.

LINK
    VIVmade @VIVmade

I made these for the first time for my 2.5 year old recently in size 3T. His height and weight fall exactly in the measurements for the 3T size and he wears disposable diapers. They came out super cute and fit perfectly in the width, but were way too low rise for him in the front and back. He does have a long torso though as all his tees are becoming belly shirts. Every time he squatted, I could see half his diaper! I added 3″ to the length between the waist and the crotch (1.5″ to the yoke, 1.5″ to the rise). I’m working on those pants now and hope that does the trick.

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

I’ve made these and the rise over a disposable was *just right*, maybe even a little short on my pudgy baby. I have also used cloth diapers and I didn’t even try to put these on with them.

Motherof5, don’t you have a tutorial on your blog of how you adjusted some O+S pj pants to fit a CD? Could the same techniques be applied here?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Do you mean this post http://fiveandcounting-motherof5.blogspot.com.au/2011/01/bedtime-story-pjs-for-big-bottom.html Karen?

It is sort of what I said earlier but I guess the photos show the effect.

Wasn’t Matilda so teeny?

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

It is!

Oh she is so sweet and itty bitty!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.