Oliver + S

Pants

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    Keaton12 @Keaton12

OK, I am a beginner. I have made a few projects, like bags and one little top for a toddler. I just started on the Oliver + S Sleepover pants and I just want to make sure I am doing it right. I am using the pattern for a 2T size. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn’t exactly symmetrical. So when I lay the pants flat and line up the bottom part, the top won’t be even. Is that right? Sorry if this is a silly question, I just want to do it right! Thanks

Hannah

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5
    LINK
    Keaton12 @Keaton12

Thanks Nicole!

I’m sure I seem awfully silly. I just want to make sure that I am doing it right!

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

No such thing as silly questions. We’re here to help! Don’t forget to show them off in the Flickr pool.

LINK
    Keaton12 @Keaton12

I really enjoy sewing but there isn’t anywhere in my area that offers classes so I am teaching myself and learning from tutorials online, so I’m just a little unsure of myself/

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Personally, I don’t think you could’ve chosen better patterns to use as a guide and teacher. Liesl’s pretty amazing. And Nicole has fantastic tutorials (with lots of photos) that can be super helpful too. Good luck!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

It’s alright to be unsure when starting out – we’ve all gone through that – I’m self taught also so I can understand how you must be feeling. I’m glad you enjoy sewing and there are heaps of great tutorials out there so really you could have your pick of “sewing teachers”. Just take a deep breath and savour each step and maybe if you feel inclined, take notes to refer to in future projects. With these patterns though you will learn new skills easily that won’t be forgotten in a hurry so you really have come to the right start off point.

Can’t wait to see them finished.

Tamara

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

O+S is a great pattern company to learn to sew, and the ladies here are wonderful if you need any help. I can’t tell you how much I have learned since I started out with my first pattern from O+S last a little over a year ago. Nicole’s blog is also a great place to find tutorials for many of the patterns here too. She is a very clever woman!

Sharon

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Goodness Girls!

I am blushing,thank you.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Keaton12 @Keaton12

Nicole, you are a big help! Thanks ladies for all the encouragement! I just finished my first pair of pajama pants! There were a few hiccups, but I’ll know for next time. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to know how much elastic to use? Thanks

Hannah

LINK
    Jane @jesims

Hi Hannah

Because different brand/type of elastic tends to “fit” differently, this is what I do:

Measure little ones waist

Subtract 1″

Overlap the ends by 1″

Test it on little one to see if the elastic fits or if it needs more adjusting.

Good luck. Don’t forget to add pictures of the finished project to the Flikr page.

Jane

LINK
    Adrienne @Adrienne

Hey there ladies. I have a question about the cutting layout for the pj pants. I made three pair last year but with the smaller size pattern. I am about to cut out a size 7 and on the layout it shows that piece 10 sticks out over the fold and then it says to flip the piece. What does that mean?

I haven’t finished tracing my pattern yet or even laid it on the fabric yet, but seeing that layout picture has me a little perplexed! Thanks in advance!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

You may need to cut the legs separately as the piece may not fit on a folded piece of fabric.

After cutting the first leg,flip the fabric so that you don’t cut two left legs(or two right ones)!

LINK
    Adrienne @Adrienne

Makes perfect sense!! Thanks for the clarification!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.