Oliver + S

Odd placement of notches

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I’m about to cut into my fabric to make a size 12 of the digital book report dress and noticed something I just wanted to ask about.

The notches on the sleeve, is the supposed centre notch supposed to be off centre at all? I’m wondering if I assembled the pattern correctly or not.

Tamara

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I don’t have the pattern in front of me at present, but if memory serves correctly the notch at the top of the sleeve matches the front yoke instead of the shoulder. Hope that helps!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Thanks Liesl, I cut it out anyway, remembering that it is buttoning at the shoulder. Had to check and ask first though just in case.

Tamara

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Yes, Tamara, one of the notches will be off center and will align with the yoke.

LINK
    BeckyinFL @BeckyinFL

I’m making this right now and came to the forum to see if anyone else had had a question about attaching the sleeves. I thought I had everything lined up correctly, but I have about 1/2″ more in the armhole than the sleeve cap. The only way I can correct this now is to increase the overlap of the front and back yoke where they button. Gonna work with it for a while now and see what can be done. I thought maybe I’d matched up the notches wrong, but I think I did that right. Maybe something else will occur to me. I have been very careful with the cutting and sewing, but I know that small errors can sometimes accumulate…

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Becky, I checked out my notes on this pattern and I have made the large size and the small and I have not made mention of any discrepancies.
    I am sorry not to be more help.

LINK
    BeckyinFL @BeckyinFL

Thanks for your post, Nicole. It’s helpful to know that you didn’t have any issues.

I should have started a separate discussion for my concern, because I do understand the notch placement. My issue is that the armhole opening in my dress is just a tad too large for the sleeve that must be set into it. What I ended up doing was to slice a tiny bit off the bodice sides all around, just enough to make the sleeves fit exactly. Took a while to get it right, but the dress is complete except for cuffs and hem, and it looks good.

Reviewing it all carefully, it looks as if I did not take up enough at the shoulder overlap, though that looks fine to me and I didn’t want to change the way it came out.

The only thing I might add to the pattern is a dot at the point where the sleeve attaches to the intersection of back bodice and back yoke.

The dress is coming out great. I’ll post a pic later today.

When I make this dress again, I think I will widen the sleeve just a titch to give me enough ease that the sleeve has a bit more cap.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.