Oliver + S

no sleeve playtime dress?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Meagan @luhmea

Hello! Just purchased the Playtime dress and would like to make it short sleeved. Wondering if anyone has advice on how best to do this? Straighten the bodice arm hole and extend the pattern (then fold over twice and stitch)? Add cuffs? I’ve seen some examples online but I’m not exactly sure how to do it. Thanks!

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

I’m not sure myself, but I think @georgeandizzy has done this. I remember seeing some very cute versions.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’ve seen several version where the sleeve was just left off. Since it has a bit of a kimono sleeve to the shaping, that will make it look short sleeved. A narrow hem to finish it should be just fine. But perhaps someone who has sewn it that way will have additional suggestions?

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

I have made it more times without a sleeve than with, ha! It’s a favorite for summer around here. Anyway, I just leave the sleeve off and line the bodice. Like Liesl said, the kimono sleeve makes it look short sleeved. In this post I talk about how to line the bodice: https://oliverands.com/community/blog/2015/06/fox-playtime-dress.html

LINK
    Meagan @luhmea

Thanks! This is really helpful! Just wondering about this instruction:

“First, start by tracing your full bodice, also tracing your seam allowances (1/2″) at the shoulders and the bottom of the bodice, fold and crease your pattern piece so you know where the middle is.”

Are you adding additional seam allowance or just marking where it is so you can plan the fox design?

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

No, no additional seam allowance, just marking so you can make your fox.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Hi Meagan, Brittany’s version of the Playtime as a sleeveless dress is the standout model (so love the fox). The discussion reminded me that I made a Playtime sleeveless several years ago. In fact, i should do it again, now that I have a few more small girls to sew for. Anyway, am going to try and attach pics of mine. The pics are in the Oliver+S Flickr stream, too.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

PS: Meagan, if I remember correctly, I sewed the lining to the bodice front and back as you do for the Music Box Pinafore pattern. This way, there is no need to try hemming small armholes. (It’s been a while).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.