Oliver + S

Need to channel Jackie Kennedy!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    laura0819 @laura0819

Hi ladies, I need some major help/inspiration. My daughter (age 8) needs to dress as Jacqueline Kennedy for her 3rd grade “Great Americans” day at school. I cannot find a simple shift dress pattern for girls (size 8-12) anywhere! You know the kind…sleeveless, simple, classic…something to wear with a pillbox hat and white gloves. Any suggestions?? I would love something with a matching jacket…dreaming big here. I’ve tried all the biggie pattern companies and as many independent designers as I can come up with. Nothing! Please help, thanks!

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Try vintage patterns on eBay. I adore sewing vintage butterick and simplicity. I go with chest size for sizing and remember they may be very short.

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Or what about an altered school photo dress??

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Definitely vintage sewing patterns on eBay
    I may speak from experience …..

LINK
    laura0819 @laura0819

You ladies are awesome! Just look at what I found…vintage patterns, perfect size for her…I can’t wait to get started! They are EXACTLY what I had in mind. She’s going to be so excited. Problem solved. 🙂 Thank you all so very much!!!

Attachments:
    LINK
    laura0819 @laura0819

And by the way…yes, I bought them ALL. Who could resist?!?

LINK
    nancy @dollfancier

How perfect! I’m here picking up a Pinwheel dress pattern and thought I’d visit! Nicole, I LOVE the Jiffy pattern in pink! I have a vague memory of having that outfit in the 60s! The Jackie outfit will be marvelous, of course. Can hardly wait to see the piccies of final results! xo, Nancy

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

If you don’t want to go the vintage route (sizing issues, etc.) I second the comment about the School Photo Dress. People often call that the Jackie O. dress. A few easy modifications will get you exactly what you want.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I am late replying to this thread, but a contemporary pattern with a Jackie O. feel is New Look Kids 6018 — a zip-back jumper with matching coat.
    For a pillbox hat, the Bucket Hat from the O+S free patterns, without the brim, is perfect (for an 8 year old, try the 6 month size for it to sit on top of the head.) I made 22 of them for costumes this January… I took some off the back to accommodate dancer’s buns, but it works well. (Photo in the flickr pool.)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.