Oliver + S

Need lining ideas for dress made with quilting muslin

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    BeckyinFL @BeckyinFL

I’m hoping some of you more experienced sewers can help with this.

I have many quilting cottons that would make great dresses, but quite a few of these (not all) are of a muslin texture and weight. I want to line them with something that will give the garment a little more body and also prevent the dress from riding up when worn over tights or leggings. I looked through my (shamefully extensive) stash to find a nice lining fabric, and none of my quilt fabrics will do. However, I found a few fat-quarter-sized pieces of a perfect, perfect fabric that had been a discard from somebody else’s sewing project. I would love to know what this fabric is so I can buy more of it!

I’d like your recommendations for any lining fabric that might meet my needs, but let me describe this perfect, perfect fabric in case any of you recognize it: This is an even-weave cotton (burn test confirmed) with a thread count of roughly 80 by 80. It is about the weight of fabric used for a blouse. I can read a newspaper through it, more or less, but it isn’t like tissue at all. It has heft, body, and a beautiful drape. It is soft to the touch, but not fuzzy. It feels cool and soft, just like you’d want next to your skin.

The former owner had used it as backing for some kind of stitchery project. She’s cut the yardage in pieces, probably as backing for quilt blocks.

Looking forward to picking your collective brains about this. Thank you!!

LINK
    BeckyinFL @BeckyinFL

OMG, I just got a brilliant idea. Went to my vintage sheet collection and pulled out a lovely old percale. It’s really similar to the other fabric, though it might be a cotton/poly blend. Best of all, it’s in hand! Think I’m going to try it.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Sounds like you are talking about a voile, maybe a batiste.

LINK
    BeckyinFL @BeckyinFL

Thanks, cybele727. I think voile may be it. I found this discussion to be helpful: http://annamariahorner.blogspot.com/2010/03/all-voile.html .

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Pure cotton lawn is cheap and makes for a great lining

LINK
    BeckyinFL @BeckyinFL

Thanks, Nicole! I’ll give that a shot.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.