Oliver + S

Need help choosing size

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Matheara @Matheara

Hello! I’m sewing Cappuccino tunic for my aunt and need help with the size.

Should I choose the size based on high bust or full bust for this pattern? High bust is size 4, full bust size 8 and she has B cup (5cm difference between high/full bust).

Also her waist is size 16 but hip is size 10. So should I use size 10 or 16 when grading?

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Someone with more experience than me is going to answer you I’m sure. View A is not the easiest pattern to adjust because of the 2 layers, but it can be done. View B might be easier. I think you need to start at a 4, do an FBA and grade out the bottom of the pattern to a size 16. Try on the muslin and make your second round of adjustments from there. I think it’s easier to fit a muslin that is too large, rather than too small.

LINK
    Jillls @Jillls

Do a size 4 with a FBA and go out to a 10 at the hips. I don’t have the cappuccino pattern but I do have the similar Portfolio and there is plenty of ease in the waist area (you might want to double check the finished measurements just in case)that you do not need to grade to 16. You should do a muslin.

LINK
    Matheara @Matheara

I agree that muslin is the best route to take but my aunt lives overseas 🙁

Ok, so I’ll do size 4 with FBA and check the ease amount on the waist/hip again. Thanks for all your input! 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Then perhaps consider a cloth with some stretch.
    I made a maternity version in wool spandex and it gave me quite a bit of ease.

(I would post a link but I am worried the whole photo would appear and no one needs to see that huge belly here)

LINK
    Matheara @Matheara

That’s a great idea Nicole! Would it be possible to send me the link through private message? I’d love to see your version of Cappuccino 🙂

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Here it is on a svelte mannequin https://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/13886701965/in/album-72157636708064826/

if you have a wee flick through this set you can see how much ease it had 🙂
    10 weeks old already!

I love it!

LINK
    Matheara @Matheara

Yours looks awesome!! I have a stash of knit fabrics and now I can’t help but thinking of converting all of them into cappuccino 😀

I tried to zoom in your pictures but couldn’t really see the stitches, did you use straight stitch for the neckband and all vertical seams? Should I use zigzag for the bottom hem?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Thank you Lovely!
    I just used a slightly longer straight stitch

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.