Oliver + S

Neckline has stretched out

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I noticed the last time my oldest wore her interlock Playtime dress, that the neckline has really stretched out – probably 2″ worth. She wears it about twice a week and has done so since I sewed it about seven weeks ago. It has just now begun to stretch. I suppose I should have expected this, even with the staystitching and interfacing – most knit top/dresses have a banded neckline to prevent this very thing from happening, right? Any ideas for what I could do next time to prevent this from happening? I do love this pattern in a sturdy knit.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think knit clothes just have a limited ‘shelf life’. It doesn’t seem to matter how much money you spend on the fabric or how much care you take washing them.

All I could suggest is double interfacing. Thanks for the heads up though, I will be making Liddy and Tilly a couple off these for the school hols.

Sorry not to be more help.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

One drawback to interlock is its lack of good recovery. I love how soft it is, but it does stretch out. Jersey tends to be better, but it curls at the hems, so it poses a different set of problems, doesn’t it? I was wondering if fold-over elastic might be a workable binding for the neckline, since it would have great stretch and recovery. If you try it please let us know how it works out!

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

you could use a cotton knit that has 5% spandex in the fiber content. It is not hard to find this at the internet fabric stores; it is available in many colors and prints and the recovery is excellent.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Huh, I did not know that about interlock! Learn something new, I guess. I will keep in mind the FOE recommendation for next time; or maybe I’ll just do jersey.

LINK
    Inder @Inder

Try interfacing the neck a bit? Stay tape, clear elastic, or even a strip of twill tape – all of these can be used to stabilize knits.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I had a super soft interlock, and even interfaced, I could tell that it was going to stretch, so I sewed my seams at the neckline, and then zig-zagged 1/4″ elastic right next to the seam allowance. It’s concealed, and a pretty tight seam. So far, so good.

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

JohannaO, you are a genius. Definitely going to try that trick on my next one.

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

Sweatshirt fleece is a nice, more stable knit although a bit more bulky.

What if you faced it with a woven rather than another knit?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.