Oliver + S

Neckhole too large

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    darcysmom @darcysmom

I just finished sewing the family reunion dress size 6-12 and love how it turned out but when i tried it on my ten month old the neck was so large it falls off her shoulders.Has anyone else had this problem?I would welcome some tips on how to alter it so it fits better.Thanks!

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

How well did your daughter’s measurements fall into the 6-12 month size? I made a size 5 for both of my younger girls (very close in size even though they are 2 years apart)since I only had the larger size pattern. My middle daughter who is a skinny minnie would have fit better in a 4 so we have a little gaping with the neckline. Not bad but still there. My youngest though is a smidge heavier and broader through the chest so the neck fit perfectly on her.

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

I would be interested in knowing where your daughter fits with regards to the measurements listed for the pattern and the size you chose.

I have not made that size dress for my daughter, but she fits the size 8 measurements for the dress. I ran into an issue for her, regarding the armscye. You can ready about it in this thread: https://oliverands.com/forums/topic.php?id=736 After seeing some of the pictures where the neckline looked a bit wide, I was afraid of going up a size and having the neckline too large. I kept the neckline at a size 8 and altered the armscye and sleeve, (basically taking it up to a size 10)and that made it work beautifully. You can also read a bit about my alterations on my blog, http://stitchedbyhislove.blogspot.com/ . You can see more of the dress pictures in action at this link: http://stitchedbyhislove.blogspot.com/2011/04/easter-dress-for-miss-olivia.html.

Perhaps if you want to make another one for her, you could drop the neckline down one size, but keep the rest of the dress at the size you used…but first double check body measurements and finished garment measurements before doing that. 🙂

Carol

LINK
    darcysmom @darcysmom

My daughter is a skinny baby and measures about an inch small on the chest,waist and hip measurements.Since the 6-12 is the smallest size available I may have to just wait until she grows into it as im not sure how to make it fit otherwise.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Try the Jumprope dress then,it is a nice fit on a baby!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/4443841169/ my baby,who was on the 5 th percentile wearing the 6-12 mnths Jumprope dress at 13 mnths.

It was snug on her so may be perfect for your little one?

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

If you are up to playing with the pattern, just a little, you could try an experiment. If you have access to a photocopier, you could take those piece and reduce them by 25% and see how that works. I did this on a different pattern, when I needed it for a smaller child and it worked perfectly! 🙂 Because the pieces are already small, it’s a pretty easy thing to try. For this pattern, I would probably do the bodice section of the pattern, first, then do the lower portion of the dress. Just put little marks on the pattern so you know where to match them up after you have reduced the size.

If you like the fit everywhere but the neckline, you could just reduce the neckline pieces, then grade up, back to the printed size for the shoulder/sleeve area and the sides.

This style dress is great for little children with all those buttons up the back. It would make for easier dressing for mum. 😉

Carol

LINK
    darcysmom @darcysmom

Thanks for all the good ideas! I would like to try reducing the pattern size like Carol suggested…..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.