Oliver + S

Neck tie alternate?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

Has anyone made this dress without the neck tie? Would like to use some other variation but can’t think what might look good with the placket and not be too difficult. Any ideas?

Thank you!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Button and loop,I really want to try it with that!

~Nicole~

LINK
    sarahb @sarahb

This dress reminds me a lot of the Apple Picking pattern. I think omitting the neck tie and just using bias binding at the neck would turn out really cute. http://www.cwdkids.com/servlet/quagga/girls/product.jsp/_qprm_/browse?groupId=12181&itemId=S135&cat=girls-skirts_dresses

LINK
    Tassiemum @Tassiemum

I made mine with the neck tie but it keeps coming undone every 5 minutes. Next time I think I will try something else instead – maybe bias binding like the dress in the link above.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I wonder what kind of knot you’re using? Here’s a site I found very useful. Kind of odd that I didn’t learn there was a right and wrong way to tie shoelaces until I was 40! But now I use this knot on all kinds of bows, and by gum they don’t come undone until I undo them, then give me no hassles to take out:

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/slipping.htm

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

You could use the Jumprope front and jumprope collar. You could do a mandarin collar like the music class blouse.

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I was going to suggest the mandarin collar too. That would look awfully cute.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I think this dress would work very well with the mandarin style collar. Or, if you prefer, just create a bias binding with a hook and loop, as Nicole suggested. I think both will look very nice.

LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

I figured I would update here since you all were so helpful! I made the dress and opted for the Mandarin collar, since I love it so on Sunday Brunch and Music Class. I’m a total novice when it comes to drafting modifications, so hodge-podged together a collar that would fit. Only I didn’t think to add height to the placket to make up for the space allowed for with the tie collar. It didn’t come out quite right and the neck line is too low and too wide of a gap between each collar front edge. I’m sure a more experienced sewer would make this work beautifully, but alas, that is not me! I actually don’t love how the fabric drapes anyway, so no big loss.

Thanks, all, for your advice! Love this community!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.