Oliver + S

Must the waistband be cut on the bias?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Dear knowledgeable sewists…

I’ve just made a croquet dress, which I think turned out beautifully (if I may say so myself!).

The casing at the waist has given me an idea for how to make my Evel Knievel jumpsuit.

I’ve been intending to attach a Nature Walk top (with a more 70s collar and a zip!) to a pair of Nature Walk pants to make a jumpsuit for my little daredevil.

I’ve found some fantastic stars/stripes fabric for the “Evel” bits, only the strips of stars run along the fabric grain. Thus if I make a waist casing as per the Croquet dress I can’t cut it on the bias…..

Is there a reason for this being cut on the bias? Can it be done on the straight grain?

Thanks for any advice (I won’t quote it back if it all goes pear shaped!)

Shelley.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I used ribbon for a casing on Matilda’s dress but I did give myself extra to play with as the dress ‘grew’ a little as I sewed.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

There is a bit of shaping to the edge where the casing is sewn, which is why we cut on bias. But if you’re willing to fiddle a bit or aren’t too particular about it, straight grain should be fine. Evel Knievel? I need to see this!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Lightning McStitch you write so descriptively. I can see this costume in all its glory and can’t wait to see you photos.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.