Oliver + S

Music Box Dress front skirt not as wide as bodice after the pleats?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Hello.

I am working with my first Oliver and S pattern. I have admired them so much over the years.

I have the Music Box Dress. I am at a standstill.

I am working on the front of view A. I have pinned the box pleat and all other pleats in the front skirt. I have not yet basted down the lines nor have I basted across the front to hold the pleat.

Having neatly pressed the pinned pleats, the width of my front skirt now no longer meets the side seams of the bodice. Since this is my first time with this I am not sure if this is the way it is supposed to be and the back skirt wraps around the front so that the “side” seams are actually in the front.

So before I start sewing and then ripping when I go to put it all together, I am wondering if I have done something wrong?

Suggestions?

Thank you so much.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

May I ask what size you are making?

I had trouble with the size 12.

That is a wee bit wide in the bodice.

I don’t know about the others sizes.

~Nicole~

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Hi, I am making a size 3T. The bodice is a good two inches wider. I don’t do flickr, but I will see if I can figure a way to get you a picture. I can certainly ease the pleats and make them narrower, but the deep pleats are a part of the charm.

Also, if the back of the skirt is large enough that it comes around to the front a bit that is fine. In fact side seams an inch in the front with the pleats might look very modern.

BUt I hate to sew and rip. Nothing is more disheartening that ripping out an entire skirt to ease the pleats. 🙁

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Here is a link:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1622860770841.80025.1216118265&type=1&l=39c7439947

It is to my FB sewing album. It is the last pictures in the album, of course.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I had a look,mine was a wee bit out,nothing like that.

The side seam is a flat piece(from memory) do you think you may have added a pleat to many?

I am going to have a look at my daughters,hopefully someone else who has made this size will have some suggestions.

I will be in touch.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5
    LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Wow, that is beautiful! I only have the center pleat and two on each side.

Comparing yours with mine, I went to change the direction of my pinned pleats. As I did that I pulled the pleats a bit and wondered if I didn’t fold too deep.

I have to remark the lines b/c of course they disappeared when I pressed. First time using that pen!

I think I will take the pins out, remark and (cross fingers) trust in the stitching! My folds I think are too deep to accomodate the pins!

I will let you know, and thanks for your help!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

HI!

So I trusted in the stitching, and it was as I discovered. The pins were making the pleats deeper. I am only 1/4 inch short on either side. I can certainly ease any back pleats if I need to.

Thanks for your help. 🙂

Jenny

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Oh Hi…sorry… one last thing.

Where did you get your label from? I have been thinking about getting labels made for my daughter’s clothes. A bit of conceit perhaps, but I love the way they look. Plus like yours on the outside, they give a finishing touch like buttons, and other notions.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hurray,I am so pleased it worked!

I get my clothes labels from here, http://www.apparellabels.com.au/ ,the site looks a bit granny but they are very very good and do ship OS.

Its a shame you don’t do Flickr,its great fun!

~Nicole~

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Thank you so much. I will check them out. I am very excited with how polished the dress is turning out.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

That is my absolute pleasure and that is O+S for you!

It is very hard to go back to the Big4 pattern companies.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.