Oliver + S

Most Recommended Adult Pattern for Beginner

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    Melissa @melissamlb42

Hi there! I’m somewhat new – I made the lazy days skirt about 5 times about 5 years ago and a couple of Sis Boom patterns. I’m not super experienced but want to sew something for myself. What Liesl & Co pattern would you recommend? What was easiest for you? I’m looking at Every Day Skirt but would really like to learn to sew shirts, but they all look a little too hard. Any tips for where to jump in?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’m glad you’re here, @melissamlb42! I’ll be curious to hear what other members of the forum have to say, but I’d probably steer you toward the Woodland Stroll Cape or the Weekend Getaway Blouse next. Both of them are quite simple and straightforward but will challenge your skills to develop a little bit. And I think they both have a certain amount of fudge factor, by which I mean that a few mistakes won’t show too much. I hope that helps!

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I highly recommend the everyday skirt for sure and the Cappacino tunic as well. I love how this top can be sewn in a knit as well besides a woven.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

The Gallery Tunic is a perfect “fake” shirt. You get a collar and placket to work with, but it’s a really easy placket technique. There are no buttonholes and fitting is easy as it’s a loose fitting style with pleats front and back for extra ease.
    I’m living in a dress I made recently from this pattern, so it’s was to wear too.
    Another vote for the Everyday Skirt as well.

LINK
    Melissa @melissamlb42

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I will look into these!

LINK
    Melissa @melissamlb42

Can you do the gallery tunic in short sleeves? I live in a hot climate.

LINK
    Melissa @melissamlb42

Thank you for taking the time to personally reply. I appreciate your advice!

LINK
    Azi @azadeh

Hi there where can I get your adult sewing patterns ? Thank you

LINK
    Azi @azadeh

Sorry I see the adult patterns… I guess my next question is I really like the children’s patterns specially the dresses . Do you have any tips on how I can modify the pattern to creat a dress for my self ?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I do write occasional tutorials or blog posts showing how I altered one of our patterns for myself. Here is one:

liesl + co. bistro dress shift, sleeveless

Many of the techniques from the Building Block Dress book would be useful for altering women’s patterns as well. The book might help you to adjust our patterns to make similar Oliver + S styles for yourself.

https://oliverands.com/shop/oliver-s-building-block-dress.html

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.