Oliver + S

modifying the music box jumper questions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    aegean17 @aegean17

hi, I like the look of this dress but want to modify it and have a couple questions…

– would it be easy to just make a simple gather with this pattern rather than the pleats?

– I’m thinking of adding a few rows of pintucks to the bottom of the skirt – when would I do this? after the skirt is finished or before the 2 panels are sewn together

thanks!

LINK
    Lizabeth @Lizabeth

A great way to add tucks at the bottom of the skirt is to do so after sewing one side seam together… then you are working across the whole width of the skirt. after finishing the tucks, sew the second side seam and then attach to the bodice.

if sewing traditional narrow pintucks, you might want to make a band of about 5 or more. if sewing wider tucks (like finshed 1″ width or more), you could do one, two, or three.

If your library has a copy of Carol Ahles, ‘fine machine sewing’ there is an excellent section about making tucks and even incorporating the hem into a tuck.

LINK
    aegean17 @aegean17

thank you!

I wouldn’t have thought to sew pintucks after just one seam

I just ordered your book suggestion through our library system 🙂

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’d like to add a bit of velvet ribbon to a thin, woven wool version of view B, somewhere around the bodice. Thoughts on a nice way to do this? It’s a size 8 dress, and the ribbon is 3/4″.

a) omit the flaps, sew ribbon below seam where bodice meets skirt

b) keep flaps, sew ribbon above where bodice meets skirt

c) omit flaps, sew ribbon above seam

Pros/cons? Other ways to do it? It’s for a gift so I don’t mind going to a little extra trouble.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I like option b!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Thanks, Nicole! I also left a note for somebody on flickr who has done this, to find out how she lined it up.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.