Oliver + S

Mary Poppins

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Erin78 @Erin78

I have promised for 3 years to make my daughter a Mary Poppins costume for Halloween. She is turning 10 and so will not likely want to dress up much longer, so I’d like to make good on my promise this year. Any ideas of O + S patterns I can make work or modify to put Mary together? I don’t necessarily love the tutorials online, but I guess I can’t afford to be choosy. I can go the traditional navy coat and black skirt look or the white fancy ‘jump in to the chalk drawing’ dress.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Hi Erin78

I made my daughter a Nurse Matilda (Nanny Macphee) costume when she was about ten but I didn’t use Oliver and s because I self drafted.

I would suggest using the lazy days skirt and lengthening it to the ankles and possibly adding a non elasticated waistband and gathering the skirt to it. I would suggest maybe using the Music class blouse, long sleeved with either the bow from the Apple picking dress or the straight collar included in the pattern. And for the jacket you could use the Sunday brunch jacket (if your daughter still fits it) or you might have have to search for a more fitted style with princess seams. You could have her wear the vest from the (name escapes me) Art museum pattern instead but I think it is more Mary Poppins looking to use a jacket. I do know Ottobre design winter 2009 has one which would be suitable but I am not sure if this magazine issue is still available on back order or not. If you pop on to this link http://www.ottobredesign.com/lehdet_js/2009_6/alldesigns_6-09.pdf and have a look at number 33, this is the one I was thinking of.

Is this for anything special in particular or just for dress up?

Good luck and I hope I have given you some ideas to get you going with this project.

Tamara

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Looking at my book it’s all in the hat and the coat! The belted trench coat is similar to the Secret Agent. The skirt is mid calf but not overly full. I’d use the Sunday Brunch, lengthening it heaps and lengthening the back split so it’s not trip up tight at the bottom. I agree the blouse is the Music Class.

Then you just need to find (make?) the perfect straw boater.

Sounds like fun, good luck

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Oh, and an umbrella with a parrot head handle!

…can you tell I love this kind of thing?!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

And a carpet bag with a seemingly endless bottom!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Dose she want to be the everyday Mary Poppins or is She thinking the white dress from the Chalk Painting and racehorse scenes?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Don’t forget the measuring tape!

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Please don’t forget to spam the heck out of the flickr page. I wanna see all the pics of this! Love Mary Poppins!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.