Oliver + S

loopback for sailboat top?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    tatataterri @tatataterri

Hi, I’m new to sewing knits. I love using loopback because of the drape and it doesn’t have a lot of stretch. I’m thinking it would be nice & cozy looking as a sailboat top, but am also worried that it would be too thick. Thoughts?

I was thinking this fabric http://www.ixat.bigcartel.com/product/3-color-striped-sweatshirting-in-pastel-tones

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Is that the same as French Terry? I just made one from French Terry and sized up so it can be an outer layer. It worked great!

LINK
    tatataterri @tatataterri

I think (maybe) they are the same; I have seen them used interchangeably at least. Knits are so confusing to me! If I should size up, then maybe I should use something thinner? My niece is already an 8…

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

I don’t think you have to size up… I made a 2t for my son and wanted to be able to put a collared shirt under it in winter. I’ve made it before in wovens that were the appropriate size…and don’t see how that would be any different than your fabric. Cute fabric btw! I also don’t really understand knits!!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

The description of your fabric as “lightweight sweatshirting without fleece” is exactly how I’d describe the fabric that I used for this modified sailboat top. http://www.flickr.com/photos/79480359@N03/7270877690/in/photostream

Although that fabric did have some stretch, more like a heavy polo shirt fabric

And then I made the orange sweatshirt dress one which had much less stretch and was quite thick for winter. I made them both the same size and they fit pretty much the same regardless of the fabric weight….

Add me to the list of people who need a dictionary of knits.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If it is a knit you definitely wouldn’t need to size up.

Check your measurements though,don’t choose sizing based on age.

My 13 year old Twins wear the o+s size 10.

~Nicole~

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.