Oliver + S

Looking for Long Sleeve Dress

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • LINK
    SewMema @SewMema

Right now, inspired by warm weather and all the fantastic photos in FlickR, I’m starting the seashore sundress for my 4 year old grand-daughter.

However, I’m thinking ahead. Where my grand-daughter lives, it gets cold in the winter -and when the family visits us in Upstate NY, it’s even colder. So what I would like to find for my little one is a long-sleeve dress pattern that would work for Thanksgiving and the holidays, in the wonderful classic Oliver+S style.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Diane

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I am too working on fall clothing for my daughter. The Music class blouse can be made into long sleeves, it’s my favorite dressy top from Oliver + S. I seen this kit here https://store.marthapullen.com/t-kitofthemonth.aspx and plan on ordering the same fabric as the jumper but using the pink plaid fabric in the same colletion for a long sleeve blouse. (sold on the same website)I am so excited abput getting this fabric that I have been dreaming the past three nights I was tracing and cutting it out, lol.

I am also sewing a few Jump rope dresses too for her and have made the hopscotch dress in a long sleeve.

Sharon

LINK
    SewMema @SewMema

The music class blouse is adorable – and the fabric as well – but little Anna does not look good with buttons – and my sewing machine has an “attitude” everytime I make buttonholes. You did get me thinking, though.

Maybe I could make a dress using a long-sleeved Oliver + S pattern (I hope Oliver+S folks read these posts and get the hint to design long-sleeved dresses).

Has anyone on this forum made a long-sleeved dress from a blouse pattern?

Diane

LINK
    Noodles @Noodles

Diane,

Check out the flickr group pictures, there are plenty of long sleeve dresses on there. The hopscotch top can be lengthened into a dress. I have also recently made the Family reunion and lengthened the sleeve to be long. Other wise a 2+2 with long sleeves looks lovely or what about a jumprope with long sleeves? View B has them already, but I rectenly made view A with long sleeves too.

Hope this helps.

Mel

LINK
    SewMema @SewMema

Mel,

How do I look at dresses on flickr? Looking all along the top of the webpage, I can’t find the link. Now, I am thinking about playdate dress, perhaps lengthing the arms, just a bit.

Thanks,

Diane

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Underneath the current photos is a search function.

It may take a few attempts,it depends what the photos are tagged with.

Try Jump rope and then Jumprope it does seem to give more examples that way.

LINK
    SewMema @SewMema

Yes, I finally realized the flickr link is on the first page as a question.

Everything I see is great for spring/summer/early fall, but I’m not finding anything really special for a little girl to wear for Thanksgiving dinner (also her birthday) —the table set with a white tablecloth and the “good” china. All the family is there. It’s cold outside, maybe 30 degrees, and lots of snow on the ground. The necklines I see are for a warmer season. Button down centerfront is more casual. Yes, I suppose I could make a beautiful jumper for a turtleneck…., but I was hoping to find a pattern for a long-sleeve dress and higher neckline, nothing frilly, nothing fancy, but beautiful classic lines.

Diane

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Why not make a School Photo dress and lengthen?

I had one planned for winter but it may have to be for next year now….

LINK
    SewMema @SewMema

School Photo dress is an excellent idea. I can make the sleeve length, any length, and there are two choices for the collar. Fabric choice & weight will make the final impact. Thanks, motherof5, I overlooked that pattern.

I hope I am not crossing rules of etiquette on this lovely forum by adding the “inspiration” dress that my daughter loves. It’s made from cotton interlock, and from what I can see all Oliver+S patterns are for woven fabrics. The dress is at Chasing Fireflies 32375 and sells for $88 (now it’s on sale). It’s a simple dress with double-edge ruffles, and yet it is not frilly or silly looking.

Also, I just learned the dental floss trick for making double-edged ruffles (As an aside, last fall, I sewed a pair of long, wide pair of white curtains for the baby’s nursery with a pair of double-edged white ruffles on each panel. I sewed elastic down the center of each strip, and then had to stabilize each strip with narrow woven tape so I could sew the ruffle on the curtain panels. The curtains ruffles were equivalent to a dozen ruffled dresses. While the curtains are gorgeous, I do not recommend this technique 😉

I wonder if Oliver+S has any plans for knit patterns. I hope so.

Diane

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If you pop over to their site they do have a few knit options.

The Hopscotch dress is delightful and has such a nice fit. I have made a dozen or more for my girls including some versions with two back pieces as a slim line t-shirt.

I may have to google your pattern for a peep,I am intrigued.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Oh I thought the PATTERN was $88,not the dress!

It would be a doddle to make something similar to that dress. It is a t-shirt with full sleeves and a gathered skirt. The ruffles would be very quick as it is not necessary to gather knit as tightly to get a ruffled effect.

You could definitely make an inspiration dress like that.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

The playdate dress looks quite lovely dressed up for the holidays. You can add lace instead of ruffles. In some lovely red tartan? Or how about those sweet Christmas fabrics that French General does for Moda? I’m doing a playdate dress for my baby’s first birthday because we will be outdoors in October. How warm do You need a dress to be, really? Won’t you be inside for thee celebrations? I like to wear light things for those huge family gatherings, because I find a house full of people gets quite warm.

LINK
    SewMema @SewMema

All great ideas. True, the dress doesn’t have to be especially warm, but there’s something about winter that invites cozy colors and fabrics.

And off-topic, I received an email today from my daughter: “This morning, Anna (4 in November) and I were showing Lauren (9 months) how happy we were that she didn’t throw her water cup down and instead put it on the tray. Anna said, “Lauren, I am “part-tickle-me” proud of you. Time to tickle you!”

She thought “particularly” was pronounced “part-tickle-me.”

With two grandsons (7 and 5), it is particularly joyful to sew for two little girls ;->

Diane

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.