Oliver + S

Looking for a coat dress pattern for 7 years and plus

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Calexania @Calexania

Hi,

I’m a beginning sewist (and a big oliver + s fan) who is making a corduroy coat dress for my 7 year-old daughter in my sewing class. It’s a pattern from Les secrets des couturières (I live in Geneva, Switzerland) and the one I am making is the largest size in the book. I love the look of a coat dress and it is a practical style for winter as it can easily be worn over tights. I was wondering if anyone had come across such a pattern (or whether oliver + s takes suggestions for pattern styles – ha ha.)

Kind regards, Calexania

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Calexaia,

Yes Oliver and s dose take pattern suggestions, there’s and whole massive thread on the topic (and suggestions for future pattern names!)

Wish list https://oliverands.com/forums/topic.php?id=84

Names auto-suggestion https://oliverands.com/forums/topic.php?id=678

I’m not sure what a coat dress is but the ruffled version of the Secret agent trench is amazing as a long girls coat, blog post http://oliverands.com/blog/2012/09/customizing-with-oliver-s-a-rufflicious-trench-coat.html

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Calexaia, and Heidi, here are refs to a couple of patterns for coats/coat dresses that I’ve had my eye on for a while that might meet your needs for patterns and explanation of what a coat-dress is.

Make It Perfect: ‘Serendipity’ Sizes 6-10. A thigh length coat with long sleeves, PP collar, and swing coat-skirt. Very practical for outdoor; looks a lot like the Sunday Brunch coat and should be made in wool/linen etc

Bari J McKenzie: ‘Dress-Up Coat’. Sizes 2-8. A knee length coat/duster or coat-dress with three quarter or long sleeves, pockets and ruffles. Can be made using quilting cotton, and heavier weight fabrics.

Both patterns are retailed by Pink Chalk, and Fabric Patch in Australia sells Make It P designs. Other shops/sites probably sell them as well.

PS: My first really ‘grown-up’ clothes was a beautiful ensemble of a charcoal grey wool flannel coat-dress, a skirt in the same fabric, and a long sleeve’ shirtmaker’ dress (very similiar the Jump Rope pattern, view 1), in a lighter grey/cream houndstooth check. The coat and skirt were lined, and I definitely remember wearing the coat with just a turtleneck/tights underneath. The winters in Sydney are not really cold. I was 13 yrs old and felt so sophisticated and trendy in these clothes, and incredibly adult having clothes that ‘co-ordinated’ and gave me multiple outfits, instead my usual ‘one off’ best dress. My love of ‘this goes with that’ began here!

LINK
    sarahb @sarahb

I recently made the BariJ McKenzie coat for my tiny 8yo in a faux fur. It turned out really well! I did long sleeves and I’m sure it will fit her for a couple years. The pattern has only 2 buttons at the top but you could easily put buttons all the way down to make it more versatile.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have a beautiful Vogue pattern but I think that may be discontinued now. If you search for Vogue children’s patterns you may find it. It was not for the faint hearted though.

Burda have a very nice frock coat pattern, 9792,it comes in a size 3 to 8.

I have it unopened if you can’t find it anywhere else.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Pink Zipper @Pink Zipper

I too love a beautiful coat. Unfortunately here thought it doesn’t quite get cold enough to have it as a well used wardrobe piece.

My favourite at the moment is an Ottobre one from winter 6/2010 edition http://www.ottobredesign.com/lehdet_js/2010_6/index.html?en It’s the grey wool enchanted forest one with purple boots. You can buy back issues from various online sellers.

LINK
    Calexania @Calexania

Hi All,

This is the first time I’ve posted on the oliver + s forum and I am overwhelmed by the support and the enthusiasm of the sewists here. Thanks for your replies. I still have the copy of the pattern I used in my class – I learned the hard way that not all patterns come with the seam allowances built-in (even my teacher missed it on this one) so if I actually add the seam allowances to the pattern, it may still work for my daughter for some time to come.

Kind regards, Calexania

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Glad you’ve felt supported, Calexania. I hope you will post the finished coat on Flickr. Sarahb, I’m very encouraged to know that you have used the Bari J McKenzie pattern – I really love the style, and think it could be very practical as a dressy coat when a parka is not appropriate. Any other tips you’d pass along about making it up?

Fiona

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

That must have been soooo frustrating when you realised that you had missed the seam allowances!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.