Oliver + S

little suggestion for layout scheme

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • LINK
    maremelade @maremelade

I really enjoy O+s patterns but if I may make a suggestion, I’d like to have cutting lay out instructions in the booklet rather than directly in the patterns sheet because there may be days, if not weeks, between the time I trace the patterns and the time I cut the fabric. I often don’t feel like unfolding the patterns sheet to check for the suggested lay out.

LINK
    Toyota888 @Toyota888

yes! I have begrudgingly unfolded the pattern paper a few times to check the layout when I rather would not… great idea

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

HI Miranda , good to hear from you, I was worried you were flooded out !

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hmm. I understand what you’re saying. Here’s the problem: if we put the cutting layouts on the instructions we’ll either need to eliminate something else (the glossary?) or add another page. This would 1) make the patterns bulkier and 2) increase the price of the patterns quite a bit.

Thoughts? Does anyone use the glossary, or have you referred to it in the past?

LINK
    maremelade @maremelade

Thank you Liesl for answering. I suspected that moving the layout schemes from the pattern sheet to the instructions would be quite difficult.

As I don’t speak a perfect English, I find the glossary useful to be sure to accurately understand some words(and I like to read it because it is well written). But if it was available online instead of printed out in the instruction, I wouldn’t mind.

I am not very helpful, sorry!

LINK
    Robin @Robin

I’m tempted to cut the fabric layout out of the pattern and storing it with the instructions, but it seems wrong to do it after all that pattern tracing. It’s a bit like writing in a book with pen. I like the idea of the glossary on the website, and the pattern layout in the instructions.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I haven’t used the glossary in some time, but it’s comforting knowing it’s there. I used it quite often when I first began sewing with O+S and mostly because I was a very newbie to the world of sewing. I think it is very handy, but I do agree with the others. I can think of a few times I’ve dragged back out the pattern because I wasn’t ready to cut as soon as I finished tracing.

I would hate the lose access to the glossary, but wouldn’t mind the layout being in a more convenient location.

Regardless, I’ll get the patterns and fuss a little when opening up the pattern to still have both. 🙂

LINK
    nancy @dollfancier

I trace the pattern layout when I trace the pattern pieces. All of the tracings go into one of those legal-size folders after that, with a color copy of the outside of the pattern taped to the front so I can see at an instant what pattern is inside. It beats retrieving the original tissue and folding it out again!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’ve also had the pattern layout issue, but I started just doing a quick sketch of what goes where, since the proportions don’t have to be exact. If I’m taping together photocopies and cutting those out, I just copy the layout too. I don’t always follow the layout because I can be pretty stingy with fabric at cutting time. I don’t often look at the glossary anymore, but it was very useful the first several times I tried something, and unlike the cutting layout, I consulted it repeatedly at different points in the process. The problem is that the patterns have to serve both first-timers and people familiar with O+S. I could imagine a newbie not liking the idea of needing to go to the laptop and consult it frequently while sewing.

LINK
    icicle @icicle

Pattern layout? … um, I never look at it. As long as I’ve been diligent about including grain lines, I will place the pattern pieces as economically as possible (I’m stingy too, Sarvi :)) and that’s rarely like the layout. But I have referred to the glossary once or twice. I would think a new sewer would need that near the instructions.

LINK
    Anonymous @

I’ve had that same thought myself once or twice – wishing the layout was in the instructions, but I rarely refer to it. I just use the grain lines and lay it out my own way. I only look at it if I’m unsure of something – like, if I’m having trouble fitting the pattern pieces on or if I’m wondering if Liesl intended to have a symmetrical piece on a fold. I have used the glossary, especially when I first started sewing with O&S patterns. I think it would be best to keep it with the instructions.

LINK
    Toyota888 @Toyota888

Yes I used the glossary quite a lot when I was beginning to sew with O & S and it is right to cater to beginners. I will only use the cutting layout as a double check on directions and numbers of times to cut each piece out – I always move the pieces around to use less fabric.

Hi Nicole! I am still alive – just not sewing due to having increased my work hours – which I am seriously not happy about! Thankfully we are off for two weeks at the beach tomorrow and I will be taking the sewing machine (and new overlocker!!) with us.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Good to hear Miranda, all those poor people flooded right before Christmas!

We had a little water damage from heavy rains, but our farm is so sandy it drained away pretty fast!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.