Oliver + S

Lining the coat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

Do I sew the lining seams a little wider so it will fit inside the coat?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I didn’t Kmac,I trimmed before I added the facings but it was fairly even.

That not to say that my way is the best way,just the way I did it at the time.

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

Thank you Nicole!

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

Do I sew on the collar before I put the lining inside the coat?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I did,I wanted to make sure it was even before I started with the lining.

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

Thank you, I basted the collar on, inserted the lining, and have the facing ready except for finishing the outside edge. I looked at your beautiful pink lining and it looks like the facing is sewn to the coat. So would I hem that raw outside edge then edge stitch, through all of the layers, so that the seam shows on the front breast of the coat?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

As the fabric I used was a bit tricky,thats what I did,

I overlocked the edge of the facing before attaching it,clipped the seam curves well,turned,pressed,edges stitched about 1/4 inch from the edge.

The I pinned the facing,centre back,then shoulders and then pinned in increments taking care not to get any tucks.

As my fabric was bulky,I hand basted it in(leaving the pins in for added support and then stitched the facing from the inside(ie around the edge of the facing.)

I had to ease the curves and take my time but I am very pleased with the results.

Good luck Kim.

~Nicole!

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

If I’m lining the coat, do I still need the facings? I’m getting very creative with my fabric placement to try to squeeze a baby coat out of a wonderful wool remnant .

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I would Joh, I think it will sit nicer. That said, you could skip the facings but interface the lining with facing cut pieces.

Does that make sense?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I kept the facings when I have lined mine. Here’s the photo of how my inside looks http://www.flickr.com/photos/73669617@N07/7842770922/

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

You’d want the facings as that’s what you see when the top buttons are undone and the inner collar and lapels are visible.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

Let’s say I have no extra fabric, and the machine is choking on 4 layers. Then what? A contrast?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Yes do a contrast. It will look pretty and hopefully the machine won’t choke again.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

If you do all the buttons up you will not need a contrast.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/9689562427/in/set-72157632815351345

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Have you got a walking foot Johanna? It may just help the machine manage the thick layers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.