Oliver + S

Lining Fabric

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • LINK
    hokiekate @hokiekate

I have a question about what fabrics you use to line dresses. All of the “lining fabrics” I see in the stores are polyester and cheap looking. But it is hard to find solids in anything other than those polyester linings. Plus I don’t want to spend more on the lining than on the outer fabric! What does everyone do??

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I tend to find somthing in my stash that looks like it will work. If I really need to buy sometimes I buy the polycotton poplin from spotlight thats about $4/m, again only in solids.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I like poly cotton poplin too!

I have a friend who uses delicious voile.

LINK
    LisaMM @LisaMM

I like to use voile and usually wait for a sale to pick up some as I like to use cotton only on the little ones clothes. Poplin is also good. Good luck in finding the right fabric.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

I use voile 🙂 – it’s a bit extravagant, but I prefer to use cotton and it feels so lovely on. It is wider than quilting cotton, so that makes the price a bit more reasonable!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I’ve used cheap slippy, shiny stuff as I can always find the colour I want. But it’s awful to work with and just seems wrong for kid’s clothes.

Lately I’ve used cotton batiste or voile and I think whenever I see a neutral colour on sale I’ll buy a few metres.

I’ve bought some more expensive, classy, slippery stuff for my woodland cape and I’m curious to see how that handles. Still, it’s a bit dressy for kid’s clothes in my opinion.

LINK
    brenda1652 @brenda1652

I use Imperial (poly cotton) batiste, from Spechler-Vogel. It is soft and wrinkle free so as not to interfere with the hang of the dress or scratch skin, and comes in a gazillion colors. I wash and dry the fabric prior to construction, like I do with all my fabrics that are machine washable. It is inexpensive, comes in both 45 and 60 inch width, and if you google it you will find it at many many fabric stores on line, particlarly the ones that carry fabrics, patterns, and laces for heirloom type sewing. It is a MUCH better quality than what I have found in brick and mortar fabric stores. In fact, the quality is fine enough for heirloom sewing, great for those of us who want nice garments with cotton but few wrinkles. Imperial also has a lovely broadcloth (a bit heavier than batiste) as well as a fine microcheck ( about the same weight as the batiste), all great for dress making, linings, and pretty much anything…and easy on the wallet! Here is a link for the batiste at Baltazor, one of my fav (of many) on line stores. She also carries the broadcloth and microchecks

http://www.baltazor.com/impbat.html

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I bought something like ten yards of AMH voile when it was on sale at FabricMart, came out to about $3/yard, I think? It doesn’t match everything, but it feels soft to the touch, it’s plain cotton so I can launder the same way as cotton main fabric, and since it doesn’t show when worn, I’m not too fussy if it clashes.

When it’s something special and I want the insides to be pretty, I did the same as the other gals, waited for the deepest sale and then bought a lot. Kaufman Cambridge lawn is wonderful quality, solid colors, and cost me about $5 or $6/yard on sale — I’ll use that for lining my nicest stuff. If the outer fabric is super airy or sheer I’ll sometimes use plain linen — again, if lightweight, plain linen goes on sale I buy a hunk.

I don’t use the slippery stuff because, to be honest, I can’t sew it well. Every so often I try, and so far, the results are always disastrous.

LINK
    hokiekate @hokiekate

Thanks for all the ideas. It’s just frustrating that I can’t find what I want in a brick and mortar store. I like to see and feel the fabric I am buying. But, it’s nice to know options that other people have used with success.

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I like Imperial (poly cotton) batiste, too, for lining dresses or for the under layer of the Swingset skirt. I used Bemberg rayon for the Forestpath Cape. I made the cape using Pendleton wool and my daughter loves it. It is so comfortable that she doesn’t take it off. She wears it all day inside and outside. She has told me she loves the lining. While at the fabric store, the clerk and I looked up rayon. It is manufactured cellulose fiber. I think one reason it is so comfortable is that It breathes. It wasn’t difficult to sew.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

I bought this horrific lawn. Hideous.

It was an internet purchase mistake. Looked quite different on line. But it makes a great lining, because it is light and silky and cotton and lays beautifully even if ugly. I am also using it b/c it is stripped to practice pattern matching. 🙂 So I guess I am like Sarvi in that regard. It is perfect for roller skate where you don’t want a double layer of weight (like my chambray dress currently under construction).

LINK
    Lex3131 @Lex3131

I’ve bought some of the poplin from spotlight but I find everything I go near it with an iron to press a seam or anything it seems to shrivel and shrink. I’ve changed my iron to the lowest setting and this still happens. Any suggestions?

Also what do people think of using homespun (I think it’s called..) or muslin for lining. I’d rather not spend a fortune on lining fabrics but I guess I don’t mind spending a bit more for good quality…

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

There are definitely some nasty poplins at Spotlight. I like to use one with more cotton then poly.

I find you can feel the synthetic in it and if it looks slightly ‘shiny’ it is best to avoid it.

I can’t speak for home spun as I have not used it but I do use muslin and it is lovely!

It will crease though. The best results I have had is using my old summer baby wraps that are washed and soft.

There seems to be a lot less creasing once the muslin is well washed.

LINK
    Lex3131 @Lex3131

I reckon thats’s it. I went back today and had a fleeting glance and most seemed to be 80% polyester and 20% cotton. Thanks for the tip for the muslin I think I’ve got some in my growing stash and I’ll give it a go. Thanks for your help

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

to line bodices I use lawn, batiste, voile, or old, well-worn bedsheets. The broadcloth at Joann’s is poly-cotton, and launders to a nice softness depending on the color. With sale prices it’s $1-4 a yard.

A great place for bulk lining fabric in white/neutral:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/4521523-AA.shtml?lnav=fabric_cotton.html

they have some really good prices here, especially since it’s wide.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.