Oliver + S

Library dress hem

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I am up to the hem of this little white dress in the smallest size and am experiencing some issues regarding the hem. It is either the slight curve in the cutting line or the silk that is causing the problem. I have attempted to edge stitch after pressing and pinning and the hem seems to e puckering badly. I know there are a lot of dresses successfully made but am wondering if I am the only one experiencing this problem?

I may have to hand stitch the hem yet.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I know you are very experienced heirloom sewer Tamara so I hesitate to ask if it is a question of grain line?

I am sure you know the trick of basting in a hem turning line and slightly pulling the thread to get the turned hem to sit nicely.

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

The instructions does say that the seam may pucker – maybe it’s more of an issue on the smaller sizes? There is a suggestion of sewing a basting line and ease it in.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Lotta-shazzam!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

For some strange reason I couldn’t get back on via the ipad – weird!

Thanks – must be tired! I had the instructions right there reading but must have skimmed that part. Did the basting line at half an inch as per the pattern and noticed it may cause a few problems. As for grain, I used a remnant of silk dupioni with selvages still attached so it could be slightly off grain (because I am not as finicky when time is of the essence)

Nicole, flattery will get you everywhere! And that trick must’ve fallen from the sleeve (or the brain).

I will go back to the beginning and retrace the steps and maybe get a better result.

Thanks ladies!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.