Oliver + S

Lengthening Puppet Show shorts for a tall skinny minny.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Jess @Jess

Hi Ladies, I have a question that I hope you can answer. I am ready to cut for the puppet show shorts, but my daughter will need a 2-3 for the waist and a 5 for length. I have looked at the main panels until I am cross-eyed, but I can’t seem to figure out a good place to cut across to add length. There don’t seem to be any notches directly across from one another, and since the panels wrap around, I don’t think any one spot will do.

Has anyone here successfully lengthened this pattern for a tall girl? They are so cute, but if they’re too short, they’ll just look funny, I fear.

Thanks!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think I would be inclined to make a size 5 as a test to see how they fit. They may be fine with tighter elastic and she will grow into them or they could be used under a dress as bloomers. If you leave the pockets off they will be very quick.

~Nicole~

LINK
    Jess @Jess

Yes, sigh, if only I had thought to try that before I cut out the 3. She is so slender, and I find the O + S patterns to be generous to begin with. I think I’ll make the 3 and they may just be bloomers. I really should have had a closer look at the pattern piece before cutting it out.

Good excuse to buy the sketchbook pattern though. 😉

Thanks for your help!

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Maybe you can cut out the bias short trim a bit wider than the pattern calls for. I did this with a pair of 18m size for my skinner 2 year to make them longer for her.

Here’s the link to that pair~

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mama_knowles03/6820808844/in/photostream

Sharon

LINK
    Jess @Jess

Sharon, those shorts are adorable! I love the pinwheels. 🙂

I may give that a shot, you never know, it might just give me the little extra. I have this soft shot cotton that is screaming to be some shorts, so I’ll give it a go and maybe even come back with pictures if if works out!

Thanks for the suggestion!

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I enlarged the shorts to fit a size 7. I think I added about 3/4 of an inch all around. Then I added an additional inch to make them longer. I added the inch 1/2 between the crotch and the bottom of the leg. I made the inseam longer that way. I also lowered the pockets 1 inch. The shorts are really cute on my 6 year old daughter. They are her favorites. I made 3 pairs, all different colors of solid linen. I was at a Crew Cuts store yesterday and they have a pair if shorts very similar to Sharon’s in blue and white seersucker. Here’s the link: http://www.jcrew.com/girls_category/shorts/patterns/PRDOVR~83537/83537.jsp

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I glad you found a way to make them fit! It’s even better that they are her favorite. 🙂

Thanks for the link, Oh so cute! Yep that is what I have been seeing everywhere here this summer. I want to try these in the seesucker.

LINK
    Jess @Jess

Love the seersucker! Rainy day today. Maybe I’ll find time to sew these up.:)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.