Oliver + S

Knits for Top? Cropping Pants?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Two-fold question!

Fir the top, any tips on using knits? Is the sizing a bit more forgiveable when you use knits? M has been wearing 3t o+s tops lengthened, but I can’t remember if it was suggested to size up on this one?

I think this would make for a super cute 4th of July outfit and I found the most adorable stripes recently, but I’m still super knew to sewing knits.

As for the pants, I want to crop it to just at to just hitting the top of the knee, but keep the cigarette pant detail. Where do I cut the pattern? Between the hem and crotch yes?

Also, if I want to slim the leg width a bit, would I take pieces from both leg seams or just the inner? I don’t want form fitting, I just want to cut out some of the volume.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I am going to let more knowledgeable folks chime in on the pants, but I have made the top in a knit and yes, I almost think it works better in a knit if your kid finds it a little snug to get into. Mine grew out of the length before the width on this one, so you could definitely add a bit of length if you liked, though I think too much might detract from the proportions which are so nice. When I made the knit version I didn’t really do anything differently, just used the standard half inch seams and trimmed them back to quarter inch. Definitely don’t size up if you like the fit of the 3T in a woven, in a knit it will feel roomier.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Thanks! I have some cheap white knit I’ll make a muslin and see how the top fits her as patterned.

LINK
    mrskanuckles @mrskanuckles

I used a pointe and a rib knit. They both worked really well. I would stick with something stable though just because of the facing and accuracy. I think this top runs short, I lengthened it also and made it in my son’s current size.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrskanuckles/8154105351/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrskanuckles/8138143715/in/photostream

As for the pants, I would like to know other’s answers as I was thinking about making a pair slimmed a bit as uniform shorts for school. So, I will keep waiting for an expert opinion.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I made a navy/white stripe knit size 8 Sailboat that Hugo wore until he was 12 and it is now a favourite with the Twins.

I used a 1/4′ seam allowance (just overlocked the seams).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/motherof5/5444046339/in/set-72157625138776927

For the trousers, I would wonder about pinching the excess from the centre of the front and back leg, along the grain line.

That way the nice shape would still remain.

Just an idea….

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

For the pants, I made 2 pair last year for my girls- I made a 12-18 mo for my (then) 1 year old and a 3 for my (then) 4 year old. I found that the 6-12 mo ones fit my 3 year old like slim fitting shorts that hit right around her knees. So, I’m don’t know what size your child normally fits into, but maybe just sizing down will work?

This is how the 3’s fit her last summer. I don’t have a photo of her in the 12-18 month ones from last summer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39449645@N06/6974180382/in/set-72157623710638777

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Thanks!

Back from our vacation, badminton is finished except hand stitching he hem and I’m ready to dive in.

I like the idea of pinching from the fold line, Nicole; and a good note, Rebecca! I think ill just play around and dive In!

I ended up buying some sale fabric with a similar hand just to test out the top changes. I will need to lengthen it a bit, but hopefully not enough that it distorts the basic shape.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I enjoyed your holiday photos very much, I had trouble commenting with the new Flickr, my internet has boundaries but great photos!

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Thank you! We were only in Utah for 9 days! We crammed a lot of sightseeing in!

Now off to wrestly my sailboat top. wish me luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.