Oliver + S

Just wondering: eliminating back seam?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    forkandneedle @forkandneedle

I’ve been looking closely at the pattern for this and notice that the back piece (number 7) has a seam in it for the centre back. I see that the seam is ever so slightly curved – hence the need for it – rather than being placed on a fold. Would it be possible to take out this seam by straightening the centre back line (ie cutting back the allowance, and placing on fold)? I don’t like seams down my back and am also trying to be a bit lazy! I know I’d need to check my hip measurements against the finished measurements but I’m sure I would be under anyway.

Love the new pattern! Yippee! to no zip and a more flattering neckline!!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I don’t know about the Cappuccino but the back seam gives the Portfolio a lovely shape.

I am sure you ‘could’ skip it, but would you miss out on some of the style?

If you don’t mind a less shaped fit I shouldn’t think it would be a problem.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

I wondered about that too. I think that seam is important to help with shape and gives you one more opportunity to tweak the fit.

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I eliminated the back seam on a Portfolio that I made, and it didn’t bother me, but I have a rather flat bum, so that that with a grain of salt.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Just a note that I edited the subject line to make it a little easier for folks to find this thread if they have the same question.

LINK
    Jillls @Jillls

You could use darts instead of a seam.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

The center back seam on this pattern really really helps with the shape of this top. That being said, I have a pretty severe sway back, so I can never skip it. If you are very straight in the back and not too curvy through the hip, you might be happy without it.

I know it seems odd that a “loose” fitting top would need so much shaping, but the geometry of our bodies is deceptive. This blouse really is well drafted. The FBA instructions are spot on, too, though they’re unusual. Have faith in Liesl and follow exactly as they are.

LINK
    Anonymous @

Oh, I didn’t know there were FBA instructions! Now I really want to get this pattern!

LINK
    forkandneedle @forkandneedle

Thanks for all of that… I’ll leave it in when I make my muslin one and go from there. 🙂

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

It’s a good thing too, because the front is a really unusual shape and the FBA instructions included are specific to this pattern and not like any I’ve ever seen before. But as I said, it does work very well.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Ooh an FBA included? Count the girls in!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Yes, you can absolutely remove the back seam! We added in rather late in the process because 1) it gives a little more shaping and 2) it allows you to use less fabric because you don’t need to cut on the fold. But by all means, change it! Our first samples were cut on fold and worked just fine. I prefer it without the seam, too, but fabric economy was a concern. And I do like a little extra shaping through the back.

And yes, I really blew it by not mentioning that there are FBA instructions for this pattern. Whoops. Friday afternoons are not my prime blog post writing times…

LINK
    Anonymous @

That’s a huge bonus, Liesl. I’m really excited to give this pattern a try. 🙂

LINK
    sanitystitches @sanitystitches

I am chiming in rather late. I eliminated the back seam by cutting on the fold and then adding a small inverted pleat at the top where the seam line would have been. It worked fine.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.