Oliver + S

Ironing Children's clothes

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    sewinginthecity @sewinginthecity

So, this may seem obvious, but I want to pose this question to all you expert sewists and Mothers out there. What do you use/do to make it easier to press those little areas of children’s clothes? I’ve thought about buying a sleeve board. Any one have any suggestions?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am going to get my son to make me a mini ironing board . I am so sick of burning my fingers !

I would love a sleeve board !

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

hehehe – I’m such a slack mother – I just let my kids look scruffy!!!!

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

I am with justmejay- I don’t really iron after the initial sew. And I just struggle with my regular ironing board for that.

But I don’t consider myself an expert sewist (or mother! 🙂 )

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Goodness , just for construction !

After that they go on the big board with my steamy iron ! whoosh !

( If I didn’t iron , I would never get to watch television)

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

Oh, ok – I do iron during construction!!!!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’m an ironing maniac during construction, and after that I rarely touch it. In general, everything I sew gets line dried, and if I shake it out beforehand it looks pretty good after it’s dry.

We’d all be naked over here if I had to iron. Or everyone would be forbidden to sit down.

LINK
    Lindsay @Lindsay

I only iron wovens for my kids. In some strange way it allows me to enjoy those tiny garments longer. I have always loved clothes and fabric, so whenever my kids grow out of a size, I kind of miss what they leave behind.

As for during the construction of a garment, I think pressing may be one of the most important things a sewist can do. I noticed a big difference in the quality of my garments when I started to press every seam as I sew it. Yes, every seam. I love how the heat sets the thread in the fabric and gives it a crispness and accuracy.

LINK
    sewinginthecity @sewinginthecity

Oh, am I glad I’m not the only one to wash n go. I was trying to touch up little places like necklines and armholes and it ended up looking worse. A little rumpled is okay, then!

I agree about the pressing during construction. Cheers to you ironing maniacs. I think I iron most seams, but not all. It’s too tempting to just keep on sewing.

Thanks for the feedback!

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

All three of my kids are under the impression that the iron is a sewing tool. They have all been a bit baffled as to why people who don’t sew own irons.

I own a garment steamer, which I was told is easier and faster than an iron. I’ve used it a few times, but I end up making the clothes look more wrinkled. Maybe I need more practice?

LINK
    mela @mela

This is great! I love hearing how other people sew. I am with Lindsay. I don’t iron my own clothes unless absolutely necessary, but I love sewing my baby’s clothes. I love seeing them all pressed and pretty, hanging in her closet. Especially if it is something I made her! I do also iron A LOT while I sew. It just makes such a huge difference (in my mind) to the finished product.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.