Oliver + S

New here? Introduce yourself!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 377 total)
  • LINK
    sewingfor8 @sewingfor8

I thought it might be nice to have a thread to introduce ourselves. I’m Lucie, I live in Lincolnshire in the UK and I sew for my 8 children aged between 16 years and 3 months. As well as sewing I enjoy knitting, crochet, scrapbooking, and am interested in family history and archaeology (when I have the time, lol).

Lucie

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Lucie, that’s a wonderful idea! I love getting to know our customers, and this forum will be even more fun if we all know each other a bit. Thanks for starting this thread! You all probably know plenty about me, but I’ll be happy to answer questions as they arise, too. Cheers!

LINK
    sews4kla @sews4kla

I like finding elements in vintage patterns (1920s – 1960s) and clothing to use in clothing for my little sweetpea. I like children to dress like children – not little adults or rock stars. But, a little bling is good. I love any tutorial that shows a cool sewing technique, or how to design a flat pattern from scratch. Shopping for fabric is very relaxing. I live in Alabama, am a bit of a Geek, and love my family. Thank you for setting up this place to share.

LINK
    Jacqui @Jacqui

Hi, I’m Jacqui and I’m in Auckland, New Zealand. I’ve got a 3 year old daughter (almost 4!) and really enjoy sewing for her, hence my love of Oliver + S patterns! Professionally I’m a archaeologist, although I’m being a mum at the moment which is fine as it gives me a chance to indulge my crafty side. 🙂

LINK
    Jana @Jana

Hi! I’m Jana from Frederick, MD. I have been a quilter for 6 years now, and just a few months ago got into sewing clothes for my kids. I am in love with every Oliver + S pattern. I just wish there was more time in the day to do everything I love to do, and include all the stuff I have to do.

LINK
    Cissie @Cissie

Hi. I’m Cissie from NC and am thrilled with this line of patterns. I have sewn for most of my life — and find myself practically chained to the machine now with three little granddaughters, ages 2 – 7. Not exactly the same as sewing for 8, Lucy! The Oliver + S designs are classic with an edge. I have found the instructions to be easy to follow — most of the time it takes me longer to trace off the correct size than to construct the garment! Knowing a few pattern designers, I understand how difficult it is to succeed in this end of the sewing world. But I really feel that Oliver + S is off to a fantastic start and will be around for a long, long time to inspire us all.

If I could get on my soapbox for just a moment — don’t share patterns with your friends! Not to be selfish, but to encourage all the sewists in the world to support these wonderful pattern designers and makers. If we all shared, there wouldn’t be enough profit to encourage the industry! Now — I’m off my soapbox!

Cissie

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

Cissie – you remind us of a good point to be aware of, especially if we want to support a true designer like Liesl (and I would say that even if this weren’t her business forum). While I have a close sewing comrade/friend, we both often discover that there really is just something about having our ‘own’ pattern. There is a certain uniqueness about Oliver + S patterns that make me want to “collect” them – silly, I know, because they’re for my practical purpose and use. Maybe it is the antique collector in me that sees the value in the tactility of the merchandising and marketing – regardless, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Cissie and April, thank you so much for mentioning this. It’s a tough business, and we really value your support. If I had to estimate the number of hours that went into the making of a pattern I would probably just quit right then and there. Each pattern is very expensive and difficult to produce. The only way we can continue to offer the patterns is because customers like you are so supportive. So I appreciate that you bring this to people’s attention!

LINK
    bherbst @bherbst

HI, I’m Bev from Mount Vernon, WA. I retired 5 years ago, shortly after I became a grandma. I hadn’t sewn since my daughter was young and put re-learning at the top of my retirement activity list. I now have 2 grandchildren, ages 6 and 3, and really enjoy sewing for them. I saw a sample of an Oliver+S garment at a booth at Sew Expo in Puyallup, WA in March and was hooked. I love the classic styling. Keep it up, Liesl!

LINK
    Cissie @Cissie

April, I’m with you — I just like to have my own original patterns. Not to mention the fact that the packaging of Oliver + S is sheer genuis. My girls love the paper dolls.

Cissie

LINK
    sews4kla @sews4kla

I love vintage patterns. Oliver and S patterns(and paper dolls) have a vintage feel to them. It’s like Shirley Temple style brought into present day. Stylish, playful, innocent, timeless.

Please don’t share your patterns but share your enthusiasm for these patterns. I like to make a point of asking the owners of my favorite shops to carry them. Or ask them when they are going to get the new ones.

Liesl, thank you for all your creativity and hard work.

Khristal

LINK
    chantal @chantal

Hi there – my name is Chantal and I must agree with everyone and it is refreshing to hear I’m not the only one who thinks children should look like children and not a wee version of the latest pop star.

I have a fabric shop within a shop in London, Canada, just received my first shipment and am busy working on my store samples. They are so adorable and the packaging is genius. I wholeheartedly agree with Cissi and April and applaud Oliver + S on their policies.

Great work!

LINK
    Toyota888 @Toyota888

Hi, I’m Miranda from Melbourne Australia. I have three young children and was recently inspired to learn to sew by the birth of our first girl (although the boys are both wearing O+S pjs so haven’t done too badly). I am a lawyer, on maternity leave for the year. Aside from a sewing book I have pretty much been learning to sew using O+S patterns so very much appreciate the level of detail and instruction in these patterns. It is great for those that have not had any previous contact with sewing to be able to make something lovely as a second or third project, rather than making pillowcases!! It is also very useful to have a forum like this to lurk on – the information here is a real confidence booster. I will probably embark on a 2 scissor pattern after I make the sandbox pants in sizes 3 and 5, having completed two pairs of pjs and a simple toddlers dress. For someone who has been craft allergic most of her life this is quite an accomplishment! By the way, Liesl, as an ex-intellectual proprty lawyer, the card stock dolls around your pattern envelopes are probably the best copyright insurance I’ve ever seen – if you copy a pattern from a friend you miss out on the best bit!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Miranda, you’ve totally made my day! I’m glad to hear that you’re working your way through the patterns and learning to sew with them. We’ve been talking about developing a learn-to-sew curriculum using the Oliver + S line, and that’s exactly what you’re doing. Bravo! I’m glad that you’re tackling them according to difficulty level so you aren’t overwhelmed, and it’s great to hear that this forum has been useful as well.

I must admit I had never considered the paper dolls from the copyright perspective, but that’s a very good point! I can’t wait to show you the special little treat we’ve put together for the fall patterns. It’s been hard to stay quiet about it, I’m so excited in a very silly way.

Anyway, thanks so much for introducing yourself and for your enthusiasm. It’s such a pleasure to hear from you.

LINK
    Toyota888 @Toyota888

It has taken great strength not to launch into the Birthday Party dress I can tell you – it causes me real pain to look at it (them) on Flickr! I bought enough dusty blue cord for two pairs of the Sandbox pants today and after they are done I am allowed to make the 2+2 – maybe a few. Do you think after that I’ll be ready Jedi master??? I notice you have some photos up on the forum which I plan to study for the big day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.