Oliver + S

Identify This Fabric Please

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Leah @Leah1996

Hi everyone,
    I have a good brainteaser for you experienced fabric users 🙂
    This dress is from the Hananh Montana Movie and such i would like to know what the white base fabric is for the dress.
    The costume designer said it was a vintage fabric so im wondering wehat it could be as i’ve never seen anything like this before.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙂
    Thanks

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I would check out bridal fabric stores.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Yes, I second Nicole. Looks like silk or fine cotton, with the circles embroidered on, and the backing fabric carefully cut away at the top.

LINK
    Deb @Mynorth

Difficult to determine the exact type of fabric but you’ll find something that looks similar in the bridal section of a fabric store.
    A quick search say’s the dress designer is Christopher Lawrence and he found a vintage cut-out fabric (the circles) that he lay over the dress top and the hem section is airbrushed in a pattern he calls hidden Mickey.
    http://thestardolldiaries.wordpress.com/category/identified/page/2/

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

It looks like just the black circles/ovals is vintage appliqued onto the top, and the base fabric is relatively normal medium-to heavy weight cream satin.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Ah, great detective work Deb!

LINK
    Leah @Leah1996

Thanks for the help everyone! it is greatly appreciated as this has been plaguing my mind for a long time
    I’ve decided to map out the bodice pattern and get it embroidered onto the base fabric, because i have no idea where the trim came form or where to get it.
    I bought white “Delusterred Satin” and made the skirt but it felt too heavy but looked just about right, like somnething wasnt right with the weight so im going to have a look for a lighter satin fabric.
    Thanks again for the help:)

LINK
    Leah @Leah1996

Hey, everyone thanks for the help!
    I tweeted the costume designer for the movie and he said that it was a silk satin (he thinks) so im going to have a look and see what i can find, i now love social media now lol. I found the dress to be very matte and not shiny at all like satin so il try to look for something similar.
    Thanks for the help:)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.