Oliver + S

Ice Cream Dress with pleats instead of gathers?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    KellyNYC @KellyNYC

I could have sworn I’d seen one one of these in the Flickr group but my search turned up empty. I was thinking of doing one center box pleat like in Book Report dress, but the bottom of the bodice might splay out too much once it widens to the lower hem. Anyone try this?

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I haven’t tried this and don’t remember ever seeing it but I think it’s a top idea. I love a box pleat! I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

There are a couple of sisters who make the most beautiful clothes for their two nieces. They run a magnificent blog telling what they make, their inspirations for the clothes and how they altered/amended the design. http://www.francessuzanne.blogspot.com.au made an Ice Cream dress for the baby and used little pintucks instead of gathers. You ladies might like to check it out. For my part, I think that two inverted pleats might work better than one. They might look nice placed between the centre front/back and the sides – not in the middle. You can see what I mean if you go to the above blog spot. Look fwd to hearing what you decide to do.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think it sounds lovely!

I can understand your concern that the bottom panel may have a little bulk at the seam but if you use a fine fabric,grade the seam allowance or simply do a single layer bottom panel it should be fine.

~Nicole~

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.