Oliver + S

I need some inspiration ladies – making a nightgown for my daughter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

Here’s the deal. I offered to make a Bedtime Story PJ to my big girl using some fun novelty fabric with Chinese dolls that I thought would be adorable.

But she declined and asked me to make her a nightgown instead. (Cause you know – princesses wear nightgowns liek all the time. She is six.)

I come up empty with inspiration on what to make for her so do any of you have a link to a tutorial or free pattern you think is good?

Thank you!

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

I don’t have any links for you with regard to a tutorial or free pattern, but I find a lot of inspiration in the vintage pattern designs for nightgowns. I made a couple last year for my SweetPea. Each one tied in the back allowing for easier movement during sleep. 🙂

LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

Citronille have lovely ones

http://www.citronille.fr/produit.php?id_collection=9

but you have to pay and speak french! So – maybe not right.

This looks lovely:

http://pinkpicketfence.typepad.com/pink_picket_fence/2010/08/-sewing-pillowcase-to-nightgown.html

LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

Just wondering if you could use the music box jumper as a basis, with inspiration from the pink picket face tutorial????

LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

Oh no. Think I might have to do it myself now.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

April made a cute nightgown from the Playdate dress, but unless you already own it, that’s not an option since it’s out of print.

I just made S a knit nightgown from the upcoming Hopscotch Skirt and Knit Top pattern, but that’s not very helpful either since you’re sewing a woven.

I wonder if the 2 + 2 tunic would make a good nightgown? You could eliminate the button placket at the back, since it can go over the head without it, and then lengthen it. In fact, I’m almost certain it would work! If you finished the ties at the front neck edges they wouldn’t be a sleeping hazard. Anyone want to try?

LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

That’s a fantastic idea, Liesl. Would you really need to get rid of the ties?

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

Liesl, the 2+2 would be an excellent idea I think. With short sleeves – or no sleeves and like you say, remove the ties or at least shorten them.

I do own the Playdate dress pattern I’ll have to look into that.

Biggest issue is that I only have a yard of the Chinese doll fabric, so maybe the Popover sundress will have to do?

But then I can always use this idea (buying more fabric isn’t something I’m averse to) and use the Chinese dolls for something else. The Bedtime story pj-pants make excellent lounge wear I think. If I shorten them a little to lounge shorts I’m sure 1 yard would be enough.

Thank you!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I would eliminate the ties so they’re not a choking hazard–don’t want them getting caught around anyone’s neck while they sleep.

If you make the short sleeves on the 2 + 2, you might be able to fit it into one yard–sleeves take a lot of fabric.

LINK
    Lizabeth @Lizabeth

For a summer nightdress, what about the swingset tunic lengthened?

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

I just bought a vintage pattern (nightgown) to make my SweetPea for Christmas – upon purchase I realized the yoke was nearly IDENTICAL to the Playdate Dress. It’s no wonder I liked the pattern. hehe!

(We have ONE MORE 6m-3T in stock but that’s the last of what we have for that pattern.)

Here is the nightgown I made in conjunction with the Bedtime Story Pajama pants (shortened for capris style)

Oliver + S Playdate Pyjama Top (Dress) & Bedtime Story PJ Pants

LINK
    ckcsbella @ckcsbella

Emma Hardy’s book Making Children’s Clothing has a cute little nightgown pattern in it.

April – how did you manage to actually post a photo to this thread?

LINK
    littlebirdy @littlebirdy

I did the Emma Hardy one on my blog, but as a pj top.

http://feathered.squarespace.com/

It’s a couple of photos down – sorry i can’t seem to link to specific entries.

I’m thinking of doing the full length version in navy gingham.

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I just read an old Little House on the Prairie Christmas picture book to my granddaughter. She noticed that Laura and Mary are wearing red nightgowns with yokes and asked me to sew one for her. I found this thread and I see where Liesl suggested the Playdate dress. I have the pattern and I am wondering if any of you have sewn a nightgown from this pattern and if you think red flannel be too thick? Is there an alternative for red fabric that is not flannel?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Not sure about the playdate, but what about using the class picnic?, it’s an easy sew, can be lengthened and has a separate yoke part and I’m sure people have made it in flannel. You might want to add a slight A-line to the gown part and lengthen the sleeves.

Good luck

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.