Oliver + S

How to store fabric

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    shokomoo @shokomoo

Dear all,

I was wondering if you could kindly share your tips on how to store fabric.

I know I am not the only one who have piles of fabric sitting in the closet, waiting for to be used in near future… I know that there are several things that I need to be aware of when you store fabric such as, permanent crease, sun/light burn, bugs, moisture, etc… but how do you protect your fabric from all these concerns? I know that the best answer is to use those fabric that I have already, stop buying fabric, and only buy more fabric when I absolutely need to! But, I am sure I am not the only one who is guilty of buying fabric when you see a really good deal at your favorite store, or when you find the fabric that you have been looking for, right?! So, if you could share your tips, advice, or knowledge of what is the best way to store fabric, it will be greatly appreciated!

Happy sewing from Japan!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

This is a topic of great interest to me as well — I think there may have been earlier posts on this topic and I will have a look and see if I can find them. I am currently in the process of moving from fabric that’s folded and stacked in piles to fabric that’s wrapped around pieces of card and stacked — and hoping to find just the right bins that will fit on the shelves in my closet and hold the wound fabric on edge so I can flip through the bins, like flipping through LPs at a record store.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I store mine in transparent tubs I purchase from Ikea. I have so much fabric my husband built me a room for it!

Tubs of Wonder

Dust and mouse proof.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Shokomoo,

I use a wardrobe to store my fabric. It is large and has hanging space where I hang a large amount of it. Of course the bulky fabrics are too heavy to be hung but I do what I can to decrease the creases by hanging as many of the cotton and natural fabrics as I can. The rest is folded.

Currently the doors are not on (they are sliding) but when they are, they will help reduce the light and heat issues.

I find that by hanging my fabric I can clearly see what I have. This reduces the risk of doubling up or purchasing the wrong fabric. I always go to my stash first before ordering but yes I do find that we tend to build the stash regardless. At the moment it is completely obvious I went overboard on prints and need more solids.

Plastic tubs are great for the rodent resistance issues. I used to do this but found that they were overtaking the little space I had in general so went with a different plan.

You do still run the risk of overflowing but at least it is visible (and I am very visual) so there is a chance you can keep track of what you have.

Nicole is a lucky lady to have a hubby who likes to build things! I’d have to do it myself!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I have my women’s stored on a bookshelf, mostly around comic book boards. I find I can store lots of fabric this way and it is easy to see and get exactly what I want. I do need to do a today but I’ll get a picture so you can see what I mean. I store my fleece and tshirt knit fabrics in a plastic tub, one for fleece and one for tshirting. This system has worked very well for me for the last couple of years. 🙂

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

In theory, I store what I am currently using or dreaming of using on a shelf in my sewing room and switch it out seasonally and the rest in tubs in a climate controlled closet. I keep solids and linings separately and always at hands reach in an open basket. What I really have is fabric everywhere because why stop and sort when you could be sewing?!!

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

“What I really have is fabric everywhere because why stop and sort when you could be sewing?!!”

Ha! I like that.

I have linings and interfacing stored in a plastic drawers/cart thing right by my sewing machine. Printed knits are in a dresser in the closet of my sewing room. Voiles, neutral woven fabrics, and woven prints are stored in a vanity/dresser that is in my sewing room. Cords, twills, wools, swimsuit knits, solid knits, decor weight fabrics, and everything else is in large plastic totes stacked in our master bedroom currently much to the dismay of my husband.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

This is not quite the thread I was thinking of, it’s more generally about organizing all your supplies and your workspace, but there’s a bit on fabric too:

https://oliverands.com/forums/topic.php?id=24160#post-143029

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.