Oliver + S

How simple is the tutu?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    sidewalkgoddess @sidewalkgoddess

I do not sew, but I have been meaning to learn… and stalking Oliver & S as my inspiration! I think that now is the time to stop dreaming and jump in… Halloween… but I have 2 questions.

Would the tutu be a good first project? Or is this still to advanced?

What sizes does it come in? (my girls are a tall and thin 2.5 and a chubbylicious 9 months… I am fine with finding something else for the baby but really want something to fit my older girl. I will, of course, run out and buy the book asap)

Thank you in advance <3 I will now busy myself with making the wings and accessories! (those, at least, I have done before)

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

You make it to fit the child, so really any age. But it’s probably too full and big as is for a baby. It would be ok for a toddler and ideal for a preschooler or older.

As for difficulty, it’s not exactly complicated or difficult, except that all that tulle is tricky to manage. You need a lot of floor space to lay it all out and patience to get it right. All in, I believe I put it together in an afternoon. Im not ure it would be my first choice for a beginner project, but if you really love it, why not? Typically. I would recommend something like the lazy days skirt, which is a free download on the blog.

LINK

Thanks! I may do the skirt first…

I have a friend who sews, perhaps I can trade her a set of wings for some guidance…

Also, the only tulle I can find is narrower… I see others have sewn ends together to make it more lush, but if I just used the narrower tulle, that would work, yes? (and maybe make it a bit easier to sew?)

LINK
    scgoble @scgoble

Fabric.com sells the wide tulle, which I think would be the easiest thing. Having to piece smaller sections together would just add an unnecessary step to the process, in my humble opinion. I think it’s a pretty easy project – like meleliza said, it’s cumbersome though.

LINK

What I meant was, if I just use the narrow tulle, and not fuss over piecing, would the pattern still work? Would the decreased volume make sewing it easier?

I am going to try it! Thanks for the help! I will upload a pic when finished (hopefully it comes out okay!)

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I think it would be fine for the baby. Yes it would be very full, but it would look lovely and if you made it longer (ie ankle length on her), she can probably wear it for a number of years to come.

LINK
    lucegirlsart @lucegirlsart

I just made the tutu for my itty bitty 24 month old last week. It is very easy, and it did not require nearly as much tulle as the book suggested. I made it 11″ long, which means that I only needed 24″ per color. I think I made it with 4 layers rather than 5 as well.

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Go for it. I think the best part of being a new sewer is not knowing what all the “rules” are. You’ve chosen a simple pattern. Just make sure you have a large flat place to wrangle all the tulle and have a friend help you. It’s a quick project. Clover Wonder clips or binder clips are pretty useful for this project. You could use pins without any problems.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Bumped!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.