Oliver + S

How much double border fabric to buy?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Ok, I am totally in love with this: http://www.hawthornethreads.com/fabric/designer/sarah_jane/wee_wander/summer_night_lights_in_magenta

I am dying for January!!!

It is a double border fabric, so the layout will be very different than what directions indicate. I am not sure how much to purchase. I would have to do the layout perpendicular to the actual directions.

A size 4 calls for 1 1/2 yds. I measured the length of the pattern pieces. The longest pieces are 22 inches each. The fabric is 44-45 inches.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how much *more* fabric I would need for the perpendicular layout when using a double border fabric?

Anyone out there have a tutorial in calculating yardage and layout for double border fabric?? 🙂

Jenny

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

That is really lovely! I think the simplest thing is to lay the pattern pieces out on the floor, on a gridded at if you have one, and measure it for yourself. You know how wide fabric is, so use that s your guide. I sometimes use my floorboards for an edge to measure from.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I am with Melanie on this one.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Ooh that is a good idea. I do have a mat. Thanks!

LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I think laying it out will be the best thing, but since I love little math problems like this, I immediately noted that you said the longest pattern piece is 22″. Lucky for you, when you split the fabric piece down the middle, assuming minimal shrinkage and fully usable selvages, you get 22″ long pieces with the borders at the bottom. Because of this I venture you might actually not need more than 1.5 yards. I haven’t made Birthday Party myself so I don’t know how many pieces there are, but it’s possible you might use even less. Definitely report back on the answer – I am curious whether my math is correct!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

RTWG– I too noticed the 22 inch/ 44 inch thing!

I also plan on cutting all facings out of a secondary/complementary fabric that matches the tab across the front. I like it when a surprise peeks out at you!

You know, the epithet in the Odyssey used to describe Odysseus is poikilos. As with all languages, there is no exact translation. We might used multi-faceted to describe the concept of variegated or twisted. It is used to describe Odysseus’ crafty intelligence. Personally, I like twisted because it describes the brain shape and its manifold nature (both physiologically and functionally).

This little puzzle of double border and my 22 inch pieces and my 45 inch width makes me feel like my brain is spinning its gears. Thus the poikilos nature of my brain is working.

And yes, it is only 8:15 am when I write this.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I plan on buying this for a Fairy tale dress, sleeveless and collarless with a simple brown tie around on the waist. I think I will buy double the fabric it calls for just to be sure to have enough.

LINK
    Mel @Mel

oh wow! I’ve requested an email for the blue when it comes in. I haven’t made the birthday party dress but I agree that it would make a lovely Fairy Tale Dress.

I made a Fairy Tale dress with a border print last year. It was a size 6 with extra length in the body and the skirt. I used under 1 1/2 yards by eliminating the side seams on the skirt and ignoring the grainlines. Well, not ignoring them — laying the pieces out opposite of how you normally would. Crosswise? Lengthwise? I can’t remember the term.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50842074@N08/8496382910/in/pool-1173251@N22

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

Oh yes Mel, I love that dress! I will be ordering the blue as well. LOVE it!!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I love that dress too, the belt is such a great pop of color! Thanks for sharing your yardage, Mel, that’s good to know.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Well that is adorable. I love the blue color way, but I picked the pink because my daughter (the sartorial terrorist) invaded my sewing space. She perused the thread and picked out a deep bright pink. She said in her oh so charming and yet rudely demanding way of an almost 4 year old, “Mommy, you make me a pink dress with dis.”

So, because she loves what I make I will happily take orders, knowing one day she will turn her nose up at my creations. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.